• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkster
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2005

Whole house audio - getting started

Can someone point me in the direction of how to sort ot my whole house audio.

I only have 5 rooms that I want to pipe music to. I have already sorted the speakers and the wire. Now I need to sort out volume controls and how to store/access my music.

As I have an ipod, nearly all my music is stored on my PC. So how do I get access to this, other than sitting at my PC. Sonos is out of my budget

I know that sonance do a dock for the ipod, does anyone know about this?
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

Your difficulty is going to be how to remotely display the screen info from your pc rather than distributing the audio at a cost below Sonos.

You could look at the Squeezebox type idea but they will need seperate amplifiers per room as the output from these are at line level.

This is why sonos is so good, wireless and amplified all in one box.
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• funkster
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2005

Re: Whole house audio - getting started

OK - so it's looking like Sonos is the way to go, didn't thinkit was going to be as cheap as that )

So, (and forgive my ignorance) how do I get sonos to see the songs in itunes (where most of my music is) does my PC need to be on 24/7?

Thanks for the help

Comment

• danward79
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jul 2004

If your music is PC based and your wiring etc done, you could easily do this with NetRemote.

That way you display would be on a Pocket PC, which would also handle volume etc. Check out there website. www.promixis.com
        Cheers

Dan

Comment

• AlexSimon
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jun 2005

Hi funkster
          If you still want to use the Sonos, then the best way to do it is with a NAS (Network Attached Storage).
          This is basically a Hard Drive that has a presence on your network. You can set iTunes to store your music there, and then the Sonos system can see your music, even when your PC is switched off.

It' worth noting that songs that have been downloaded from the iTunes store (or any that use DRM) WONT play on the Sonos system (yet).

You can use it to play any MP3, WMA , AAC, FLAC, AIFF, OGG, and WAV files that you obtain from places free from DRM (these can be perfectly
          legal).
          FLAC and OGG are particularly useful because they are compressed but
          lossless and will sound great on the high quality Sonos ZonePlayers.

Cheers
          ---
          Alex Simon
          http://www.pluggedin.tv

Comment

Working...
          X