• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdwarriner
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

RF Controlled Sockets

I am trying to source some RF controlled sockets for an application. The wish list is :

- good quality that are reliable (you buy sh**e you buy twice )

- pack of at least 2 plug-in bits would be great

- ones with electronics above the socket as the site has sockets mounted in the skirting board (an old 1910 property), not the Bye Bye Standy which are slung below socket level.

Any advice appreciated,
    Peter.
  • MrFluffy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2005

I can only tell you what I wouldnt buy, x10 devices. I see the word reliable and quality in your description...
    Im posting from a standpoint of considerable investment and experience in x10...

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

How do you want to control them? i.e. how are you going to get your application to initiate the RF signal to the remote module?

X10 can work reliably. My relatively small set-up has worked for many years with modules strung all over the house, attic & garden. I have also had problems, but nothing that couldn't be traced to a change *I* had introduced.

The Byron HomeEasy stuff might be worth a look (http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...C-Control.html) although I haven't used it. Electronics are underneath though

HTH,

Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• pdwarriner
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2008

Tim,

Really just using a little keyfob to turn them on and off. Various of the sockets are in awkward to get at places and leaving stuff on standy seems a waste.

The age of the property however means the B+Q HomeEasy ones (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...e+easy&x=0&y=0) won't fit as the sockets are in the skirting board.

Cheers,
        Peter.

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

HI Peter

Can you not use a single extension socket, 13A plug and 12 inches or so of cable to plug the B&Q modules into? i.e an extremely short extension lead

As you say they are awkward locations to access I am guessing that they probably arent visible therefore that shouldnt look too unsightly.

Just offering a possible solution, feel free to rubbish it LOL
          KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
          http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by pdwarriner View Post
            Tim,

Really just using a little keyfob to turn them on and off. Various of the sockets are in awkward to get at places and leaving stuff on standy seems a waste.
            In that case...
            Maplin have a few options, including 4-socket, 4-channel remote controlled extension lead, try:

It also loks like you should be able to buy a 3-pack for £20-£30 so not *too* bad.

HTH,

Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
            X