• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samwar
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2007

Newbie needs help! OT.... HDMI

Have tried finding information elsewhere but it seems that this is the only place I can get answers!!

Slightly OT I know, but can someone help me please....
    I have a DVD player with a HDMI upscaler. I have plugged and HDMI cable into the DVD player and into my TV, but when I switch to the HDMI I have a thick grey bar down either side.

I have checked in the setup of the DVD player and the picture is set to 16:9 as I thought that this was the problem, but it appears not to be. I am new to this HD game, so am I doing something stupid?
  • TimMorris
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2007

Most displays and scalers now display grey bars instead of black if fed a 4:3 image, so I suspect that is what is happening. Your display should automatically switch to 16:9 when fed an anamorphic image. Check to see if either the player/scaler or display have an option for HDMI control and if they do make sure it is set to "on".

Also make sure that your TV is set to display a 16:9 image just in case automatic aspect ratio switching isn't working. HDMI has the equivalent of pin 8 switching on a SCART lead, but not all manufacturers implement HDMI properly. Somewhere on the remote there will be an aspect ratio button - it usually looks like a TV screen with arrows on it.

Last but not least your TV might be sending the wrong EDID information (it is like PC screens; the display will send information down the cable to tell the player what sort of picture it is capable of displaying). Try switching the order in which you turn the equipment on. It shouldn't matter, but there are so many things that can trip manufacturers up when programming HDMI interfaces

Tim
    Last edited by TimMorris; 29 November 2007, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• samwar
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2007

Excellent. Found that the TV was actually set to 14:9 instead of 16:9. That cured it. Just one more question, are dvd players with HDMI upscalers, true hd or just pseudo hd. If it's true HD can i now buy HD films. I am watching a normal dvd through HDMI, but don't see any descernable difference.....

Comment

• TimMorris
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2007

They just upscale. The main advantage is ease of connectivity. The only advantage is if the scaler in the player is significantly better than the one in the TV. The Broadcom single chip solution in the Sky HD box is terrible but some of the DVD players are OK. You'll never get anything approaching that of an off-board scaler, but you are looking at spending at least £1k there. There are HUGE advantages to having a dedicated off board scaler, for details see here:

Once they've got the full colour management system working in the new Radiance Lumagen have committed to retro-fitting it into the Vision series. This will allow you (or an ISF technician) with the right equipment to fully make up for any deficiencies in your display equipment. That will make the HDQ the bargain of the century.

Tim
        Last edited by TimMorris; 3 December 2007, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X