• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BazzaD
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2017

EvoHome Zones

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with an EvoHome issue. I have a large room with 2 radiators, which I have joined as a single zone, but can't find out any information on how this works. Honeywell says only the master actuator (HR92) in a zone communicates with the main controller.

How do I know which one is the master?
    How do I change which actuator is the master?
    If the master at one end of the room reaches desired temperature, but at the other end of the room the actuator (not the master) is below the desired temperature, what happens?
    Same question but what happens if the actuator which is not the master reaches the desired temperature and the master does not?

I have asked the Honeywell help line but they so far have replied with what looks like standard text that does not answer my questions and the manuals talk about single radiator setup or multiple setup, but I can't find any information on how it works before I can decide on what changes to make. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    Best BazzaD
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

A zone can only have one temperature sensor (determining heat demand). That'll be the first HR92 you bound.

HOWEVER.... there's two aspects to heat control - the demand from the boiler and the opening of the TRV. In the latter instance the locally measured temperature IS used, I believe. I have a three radiator zone, and I often see them all open different amounts. But the opening of the first one is what determines the boiler demand. So bind your coldest one first.

Comment

• BazzaD
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      A zone can only have one temperature sensor (determining heat demand). That'll be the first HR92 you bound.

HOWEVER.... there's two aspects to heat control - the demand from the boiler and the opening of the TRV. In the latter instance the locally measured temperature IS used, I believe. I have a three radiator zone, and I often see them all open different amounts. But the opening of the first one is what determines the boiler demand. So bind your coldest one first.
      That is great thanks.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by BazzaD View Post
        Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with an EvoHome issue. I have a large room with 2 radiators, which I have joined as a single zone, but can't find out any information on how this works. Honeywell says only the master actuator (HR92) in a zone communicates with the main controller.

How do I know which one is the master?
        How do I change which actuator is the master?
        If the master at one end of the room reaches desired temperature, but at the other end of the room the actuator (not the master) is below the desired temperature, what happens?
        Same question but what happens if the actuator which is not the master reaches the desired temperature and the master does not?

I have asked the Honeywell help line but they so far have replied with what looks like standard text that does not answer my questions and the manuals talk about single radiator setup or multiple setup, but I can't find any information on how it works before I can decide on what changes to make. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
        Best BazzaD
        As far as i'm aware, along with my experience in my set up if you have two HR92s in one zone, the first one that is bound is the temperature sensor.

If you have it set up as a 'single zone' under the zone settings it will use that first HR92 to measure the temperature and open all the HR92s in that zone at the same time. If you select 'Multi Zone' it is then measure locally at each HR92 and opened/closed accordingly (however the temp on the main display will be the first HR92 still).

Comment

• BazzaD
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2017

Thanks for the response, but just to make sure I have got this clear. If two radiators are set as one zone, then the master will control the operation of both radiators. So if the master reaches to desired temp, then both radiators in that zone will shut down?

The earlier response I received suggested that the temp management of two radiators in one zone operates independently, but only the master can activate the boiler.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

In a multi-room it's clear - any HR92 can call for heat. But in a single room zone I THINK the heat demand some from the primary HR92 but the amount that each TRV opens is determined locally. At least, that's the only way I can explain three radiators in a zone all open different amounts.

DBMandrake will probably be along in a moment to tell me I'm wrong! ;-)

P.

Comment

• BazzaD
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2017

In a multi-room it's clear - any HR92 can call for heat. But in a single room zone I THINK the heat demand some from the primary HR92 but the amount that each TRV opens is determined locally. At least, that's the only way I can explain three radiators in a zone all open different amounts.

DBMandrake will probably be along in a moment to tell me I'm wrong! ;-)

P.
              Well Paul, you can see why I have struggled with this one, as even my installer was not sure. Great system though, loving the control in the house. Just into the tweaking stage. Appreciate you taking the time to respond and follow up.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2017

I thought this was discussed a few month ago, been trying to find it - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...single%2Fmulti

Comment

• BazzaD
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                  I thought this was discussed a few month ago, been trying to find it - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...single%2Fmulti
                  The link you sent does provide half the answer I was looking for, but I do not think it covers the question with regards to the independence or otherwise of the actuators in the same zone (room) that are not the "Master"

Does the master provide control over all the other actuators in that zone, or do the other actuators still turn off and on the rad based on their own reading of the temperature. If they do operate independently in terms of measuring temp and controlling their own radiator, what is the purpose of the Multizone option in parameters. Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of this one.

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

I've just tried to re-observe the behaviour when rads in a zone are open different amounts, and can’t.

I've definitely seen it in the past, but perhaps that was due to lost packets.

So I’m now not so confident, apologies.

P.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by BazzaD View Post
                      The link you sent does provide half the answer I was looking for, but I do not think it covers the question with regards to the independence or otherwise of the actuators in the same zone (room) that are not the "Master"

Does the master provide control over all the other actuators in that zone, or do the other actuators still turn off and on the rad based on their own reading of the temperature. If they do operate independently in terms of measuring temp and controlling their own radiator, what is the purpose of the Multizone option in parameters. Thanks again for helping me get to the bottom of this one.
                      Single Zone - Temperature measured at the master and then controls other actuators. As if you had an additional sensor such as a T87RF measuring the temperature in the room instead of a HR92 due to the HR92s being inaccessible (E.g. being behind radiator covers and can't read the temp) it would then control all the HR92s the same.

Multi Zone - for when you have possibly multiple rooms in one zone (Due to the 12 zone limit). So for instance Hallway and landing. The temperature is then measured at each HR92 and the valve controlled accordingly to the demand at that valve. The temperature on the EvoHome panel is that of the first HR92 bound.

I use multizone even when I have multiple radiators in one room, as I want the HR92s to measure and adjust accordingly to that location. For instance, I have kitchen/dinning in one. At the kitchen end it can get quite warm with cooking, at the dinning end it can be cooler. By using Multi zone it ensures that the room is maintained at 21oc at both ends.

Anyway that is my understanding of the settings, from what I have read and my experience.

Comment

• BazzaD
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2017

We will get to the bottom of this

I've just tried to re-observe the behaviour when rads in a zone are open different amounts, and can’t.

P.
                        Nothing to apologise for, this is clearly an area that is not covered well in any of the written or online material I have reviewed, but it could make a big difference to your setup. I am certain we will get to the bottom of this. I have an outstanding question on this issue with Honeywell, who are yet to answer the specific question, but eventually they will have to, I hope.

Comment

• BazzaD
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Dec 2017

P.
                          It would appear based on a comment on another post from a bruce_miranda that the actuators do sense and control the radiators independently, but as you said, the master is the only one that provides the room temp to the control box. Thanks again.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

There is a difference between using multi HR92 in a small zone versus multi HR92 in a multi room zone. which is it here?

Comment

• rcopus
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2014

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Are you guys saying that when set as a ‘single zone’ the multiple HR92’s all open the same amount as the master, first bound HR92?

This seems a bit counter intuitive in my living room where I have radiators that give different outputs of heat. I always expected them to open their valves to differing levels accordingly.
                              Even an old school dumb system with wax TRV’s would technically do this.

In my situation, with different outputs at different ends of the room, would you recommend I change the zone to a ‘multi room zone’?

Comment

Working...
                              X