• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bodsmate
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2010

Silent lamp switching

Having moved to LED bulbs in my lamps, I am looking for a silent method of switching these via my existing automation system. I have HomeVision (yes old school!) and Comfort. 20+ lighting circuits are separately wired to relays in the loft but all lamps were on X10 modules

Had been using X10 lamp modules prior to bulb change and as I don't like the clunk of the X10 appliance modules looking for a better way. I have been trying to convert the X10 lamp modules to use Solid State Relays, which has only been part successful (some work and some don’t; only getting 2.5 volts from the lamp module to switch the SSR which really need 3v so some work and some don't!

Finally giving up on this.....unless anyone has managed to convert UK lamp modules to silent SSR's? - I am looking if there are any z-wave modules or other suggestions than have a silent switch for lamps or at the very least very quiet relays?! – I am not bothered about dimming just want on or off with no minimum load requirements.

Any ideas?
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

These might work for you;

Although at £70 a go (not sure of latest price) and 4/6 sockets per unit they may not be the cheapest & neatest solution. The relays are very quiet though
    I (partly) remember another solution for single sockets but can't recall enough of the details at the moment. I will post back when the brain starts working again!

HTH,
    Tim.

EDIT: maybe these as an alternative to the SSRs you're using? Their min control voltage is 2.5V
    Last edited by TimH; 7 July 2015, 05:16 PM. Reason: extra info
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• bodsmate
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2010

Hi Tim

Those SSR's look hopeful! - I couldn't find any that operated below 3 volts. I will order one and try it as this would be my preferred solution

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X