• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Troubleshooting Room Overshooting HR92

I have had my Evohome system in for about 4 years now with no problems and I have reached the point where I have forgotten about it bar changing the batteries in the HR92s occasionally.

But I have started to perhaps have problems with my adult son's bedroom. It appears to be overshooting by quite a bit. There have also been times when I have gone into his room and he had manually turned the HR92 off but the radiator is still hot.

He has left it alone for a while though but this morning I have gone in after he has gone to work and the temp is 21c. The max setpoint is 17c for this morning with an overnight setpoint of 10c. I have just checked again and the HR92 temp is now falling, showing currently 19.5c.

I have attached some screenshots of the schedule and SmartThings logs for overnight but not quite sure where to start troubleshooting otherwise I was thinking of buying a DT92.

E Friday Schedule.jpgE Saturday Schedule.jpgE SmartThings 1.jpgE SmartThings 2.jpgE SmartThings 3.jpg
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Do you graph setpoints and temperature ? Is it possible he turned it up in the night but then turned it down before you saw it ?

If not, and the highest set point was 17C and the room had got up to 21C AND the radiator was hot the obvious culprit would be a problem with the valve body not fully closing allowing some flow through the radiator any time the system was on. So that's where I'd be focusing my attention first.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Nice to hear from you again!

Try swapping the HR92 with one in a different room and if the problem follows it you have the answer. I have one problem HR92 but the defect does not affecting the heating control. It is simply that I need to change its batteries every three months. I moved it last year to a different zone and the problem went with it. I bought a spare a long time back but have never had to use it. I content myself knowing that to an extent every quarter day the batteries need changing!

Comment

• Mavis
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Oct 2014

He is on nightshift tomorrow night so I will be able to check properly but I know he wouldn't have turned it up, only off.
        I think that you may be right about the valve body - the bathroom rad came on on optimisation at 5.12am ready for a setpoint at 6am and the temp in his room started rising at around that time.
        Is this something that just needs adjusting or is it something that needs replacing?

I half heartedly set up Conrad last year but it was showing different temps to mine and I didn't have time to play with it - I have just gone in and it hasn't updated since August. SmartThings logs weren't working but I have gone in today and they are showing now. Looking at his ST room logs for last night:
        9.15pm Thermostat Operating State is idle
        9.31pm Setpoint 10.0c
        9.31pm Temp is 18.5
        10.41pm Temp is 18.5
        10.41pm Thermostat Operating State is Heating
        11.10pm Temp is 17.5

Then temp drops to 16.5c at 3.10am
        Then climbs from 5.30 am

Comment

• Mavis
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          Nice to hear from you again!

Try swapping the HR92 with one in a different room and if the problem follows it you have the answer. I have one problem HR92 but the defect does not affecting the heating control. It is simply that I need to change its batteries every three months. I moved it last year to a different zone and the problem went with it. I bought a spare a long time back but have never had to use it. I content myself knowing that to an extent every quarter day the batteries need changing!
          Hellooo Sorry, life has got in the way. Yes thank goodness for Costco I buy big packs of Duracell batteries just for the HR92s. He is forever switching his radiator off and for some strange reason when I try and turn it back on, the original setpoint is hard to find (ie the indicator on the HR92 doesn't always show and using the main controller doesn't always reset it.)

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
            Hellooo Sorry, life has got in the way. Yes thank goodness for Costco I buy big packs of Duracell batteries just for the HR92s. He is forever switching his radiator off and for some strange reason when I try and turn it back on, the original setpoint is hard to find (ie the indicator on the HR92 doesn't always show and using the main controller doesn't always reset it.)
            Sounds like he has worn out the HR92! I am sure they are best left alone.

Get my batteries on Amazon, bulk orders of the Industrial ones which are Duracell by another name and cheaper. I must though be more miserly with them and when I replace check what power is left in them and then I should pass them on to grandchildren for their toys! Although their “toys” now are getting more like mine!

Comment

• Mavis
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Oct 2014

Sorted!
              I first swapped over his HR92 with the one in our bedroom (slightly complicated as I have a DT92 in our room.) I then had the same problem in our room.

I then changed the batteries in his HT92 and all appeared to be working. I have now put it back in his bedroom and the room is back to a constant 17c now.

Interesting as usually I get a fault message on the controller saying the batteries are low (but no problems with the HR92).

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Out of interest, why did the DTS92 make it more complicated?

Comment

• Mavis
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
                  Out of interest, why did the DTS92 make it more complicated?
                  (I should have said confusing rather than complicated.)
                  Because I didn't move it into his bedroom - I left it on the wall in our bedroom. So getting my head around his room feeling cold, even though the controller was saying his room was 22c and rising.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
                    Sorted!
                    I first swapped over his HR92 with the one in our bedroom (slightly complicated as I have a DT92 in our room.) I then had the same problem in our room.

I then changed the batteries in his HT92 and all appeared to be working. I have now put it back in his bedroom and the room is back to a constant 17c now.

Interesting as usually I get a fault message on the controller saying the batteries are low (but no problems with the HR92).
                    May have been ill fitting batteries which became more so as he regularly adjusted the HR92.

Comment

Working...
                    X