What's the best way to log room temps and set points - IFTTT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DorrisMancer
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2017

What's the best way to log room temps and set points - IFTTT?

A few years ago, when I first installed Evohome, I used IFTTT to log room temps and set points. I had graphs of temp and set point for each room but this stopped working at some point and I forgot about it until recently. I'd like to be able to log again but I don't want to mess-around with code or bespoke hardware, I just want a service that runs on a PC or phone.
    I remember that IFTTT was quite unfriendly so, before I start digging around in it again, I'd like to check whether these functions are still available and whether there are alternatives.
  • Jack007
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2018

For this I use Domoticz. It's running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. It can register and control almost everything from Evohome.
    Logging room temps and setpoint is standard. Running for over 2 years without problem.

PS: For this to work you need an account with Honeywell Home Total Connect

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Jack007; 21 February 2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Jack007 View Post
      For this I use Domoticz. It's running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. It can register and control almost everything from Evohome.
      Logging room temps and setpoint is standard. Running for over 2 years without problem.

PS: For this to work you need an account with Honeywell Home Total Connect

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1784[/ATTACH]
      Thanks, but although my background is in electronic and IT design I just want something that works that I don't have to build or code.

Comment

• Jack007
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2018

Well, that the beauty, you don't have to build or code anything. Domoticz is free/open source and runs on ARM, Windows and Linux (https://www.domoticz.com/downloads/). Also most NAS providers (Synology, Asustor) have a Domoticz package (or put it in a docker).
        An account at Honeywell HTC is also free.
        The only thing you have to do is tell Domoticz it can use EvoHome.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2017

This is slightly embarrassing, but when I installed Domoticz the installer told me it was updating an earlier installation that I had forgotten I'd downloaded. I must have fried my remaining memory pixies :-( Thanks for the pointer.
          Currently I've got all the zones displayed; is it possible to see whether a particular zone is calling for heat?

Comment

• Jack007
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2018

As far as I know it can only display information that is available in HHTC (see also Honeywell Home app) like schedules, current temperatures, setpoints, overrides, etc.
            Heat demand is not one of them (i wish it was).

Comment

• DorrisMancer
              Automated Home Guru
              • Nov 2017

Having played around I can see the benefit of having Domoticz running on a dedicated system so I've ordered a Raspberry Pi - thanks for leading me to another learning curve and another pile of "to-do"s ;-)

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Domoticz becomes super handy with Evohome but only if you have an HGI80 or similar.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2017

I've already added my name to the list.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Nov 2017

I've been trying to add actual weather to Domoticz, but without success. The Open Weather Map "hardware" page doesn't look the same as in the documentation (there's nothing below the <location> box) and there are no devices. Have I missed an incantation, is there a better source of weather actuals?

Comment

• Jack007
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Nov 2018

This how it looks like.
                      Remember you have to get an (free) API key for this to work (https://openweathermap.org/price).
                      Also, you can't select any city, try a mayor one in your vicinity first and then refine.

tempsnip.jpg

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Nov 2017

I thought something was wrong because the documentation at https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Open_Weather_Map says that the panel will have more fields after the <location> box

It's now working so it seems that I hadn't waited long enough for the API key to become activate (I assumed it was instantaneous). I'm using lat/long for location but can't find anything that specifies the required format (all sexagesimal, part sexagesmial and part decimal, wholly decimal with N/S E/W or signed decimal). Signed decimal makes it work but how can I check that it's interpreting it as I think, to give the correct location?
                        Thanks for your help BTW. A PI arrived today so there may be more questions when I find a cooking tuit ;-)

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2017

In case this is of use to someone else ...
                          • It seemed that "signed decimal" lat/long for my location was working, but the data didn't update; changing the location to the name of my (small!) village instantly got things working.
                          • I've now got Domoticz running on the Raspberry Pi and I'm surprised at how easy it was. Although my background is IT and electronics I've steered clear of Raspberrys and Arduinos because these days I just want things to work, rather than dabbling. However, it only took about an hour from unpacking to getting the Pi running Domoticz - the longest parts were finding a spare keyboard and monitor (not strictly needed, but easier) and finding out how to set a static IP address (I don't speak Linux) but Mr Google had the answer.

If anyone else is hesitating about using a Pi for Domoticz I'd strongly recommend to "go for it".
                          Thanks to Jack007 for the unintended push down this route.

(BTW, I'm very impressed by the Pi and am now wondering about using it for a home security system.)

Comment

• filbert
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Oct 2017

I’ve been thinking about Domoticz and was pleased to discover that there’s a version for Synology NAS, but then I discovered that it’s no longer being maintained. I could, apparently, use Docker (which runs on Synology) but couldn’t work out how it would be installed. Then I wondered if it would support the recommended HG180, or equivalent, equivalent hardware...

I’m reluctant to go for a Pi as I have too much hardware already! I can cope with Linux, however.

Has anyone any experience of Domoticz on Synology?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

I used to use Domoticz on Synology for years. But then gave up and moved over to QNAP, for the Virtualisation Station. Now I run Domoticz in an Ubuntu VM. I think Synology too has a Virtualisation platform now. Consider that rather than the Docker package.

Comment

Working...
                              X