• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Biometric Door Access

....actually fingerprint readers. I have been on a quest to find a cost effective, stand alone system for an interior door in my home, to work in conjunction with and electric lock. I have been successful in the latter, but not so in the former, and feel that most systems are stupidly expensive for some reason.

Systems I have found to date are...

EKey Integra
    Anviz T5
    ARX 1
    Schneider Electric Harmony
    Gira Keyless

Pretty much all of these are in excess of £350 and I find it difficult to justify the cost to myself based on the technology involved.
    One limiting factor I have is ascetics, in that the reader needs to be wall mounted and fairly flush. Some of the above are a bit on the chunky side...

I am leaning towards the static capacitance scanner as opposed to the scanner where you swipe your finger, this is mainly to to with read-times of the finger in correlation to actually unlocking the door.

Anyone had any experiences or have similar fitted? Thoughts?

Vangelis
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I bought one off ebay for 180 quid,manufacturer wanted 450 quid for the same thing.
    Mind you this was about 6 years ago now. Still works, second set of batteries have just died.
    One thing you will need to do is register say you thumb several times, with some readings taking with your thumb at slightly different angles and positions, that way you avoid it not reading your thumb.
    With mine you just place your thumb on the sensor and it reads the print, so no swipe. It also has the option of entering a pin code for entry.
    Piece of cake to fit. Can't remember the name of it though.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Just found the instruction manual for the door lock. The company is T.S.Biometrics Inc .They are in Seoul, South Korea. The company's website is in Korean.
      The lock is a TS-300 fingerlock. Here is a link to the actual lock And a video of it can be found here
      Hope that helps you.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        Just found the instruction manual for the door lock. The company is T.S.Biometrics Inc .They are in Seoul, South Korea. The company's website is in Korean.
        The lock is a TS-300 fingerlock. Here is a link to the actual lock And a video of it can be found here
        Hope that helps you.
        Thanks Toscal - Will take a look. There seems to be loads of 'Time Management' systems on ebay as well that provide alot more functionality, for a fraction of the cost of the above mentioned. Maybe its just one of the sectors of the market that still commands a high price tag for what is in effect very cheap mass made technology...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

You might want to have a look here.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2005

Hey toscal, are these good to replace a standard front door tripple dead lock ? Are they ok for outdoor use ?

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Probably not as they will need to be waterproof. You need to have an IP rating of at least 65 for outdoor use.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Vangelis
                Automated Home Guru
                • Sep 2009

I know that the EKey Toca has been used for exterior access but this might have been in a covered porch way. Check out ....http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/resourc...070901-01.html

Think the Gira Keyless is IP65 rated...

You might also want to check with you household insurance company that biometric access is ok.

Comment

Working...
                X