• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DCoplin
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2004

Which Home Alarm?

Hi all,

Need to sort out my house alarm, am fed up with paying 150 quid a year for some service contract, just so some spotty teenager can come 'round, enter a myesterious 4 digit code that I'm not allowed to have because alarms are "complicated" and then tell me everything's OK just two weeks before the system goes off the rails and costs me another couple of hundred to straighten out. :x

Now that that's off my chest do any of you have some recommendations for a good alarm panel that can be installed to existing PIR's and can be managed by myself?

Nice to haves would be remote management via PC or phone and support for RedCare or similar.

I've looked at the Comfort system and think that's really cool although I was planning on solving the home automation problem a different way. I guess I'm interested in your views on stand alone alarm panels as well as the multi function (Comfort type) systems.

TIA

Dave
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Which Home Alarm?

Hi Dave

As you mention, the first thing we think of around here is Comfort...

However if you have ruled that out several people have used the Visonic system...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• SJL
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2004

Not trying to step on anyones toes!

We have fitted alarms for the past few years and swear by Menvier or Scantronic alarm panels!

Favourite is the Menvier TS690 which has 6 zones plus 2 more built into each keypad and comes with the choice of LED of LCD keypads.

Or for a cheaper option the Scantronic 9448 style is a good reliable panel too!

I totally agree about the engineers mystery code etc as when we fit a system we dont offer any contract (above the 12month gtee period) because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years!

I recommend that you ditch the contract, fit a new panel (or have one fitted) find a local alarm engineer and strike up a relationship where he/she will come out as and when needed for a nominal call out charge!
      Thus saving you money in the long term (but check with your insurers first!)

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Thanks SJL. Do the Menvier or Scantronic systems you mention have any home automation features? X10 control, serial control etc?

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• SJL
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2004

No unfortunately they are stand alone!

We tend to find that our customers want to keep the alarm system totally seperate!

which suits us as we only really do lighting,audio,home cinema,cctv and gates rather than complete automation!

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Ah, OK, thanks.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Monteey
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jan 2005

I totally agree about the engineers mystery code etc as when we fit a system we dont offer any contract (above the 12month gtee period) because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years
              Well then you shouldnt be installing systems at all if you arent offering a contract. Its morons like you that give the alarm industry a bad name. Although you may think they are a waste of time, any company worth their salt will charge a premium to idiotic customers who phone up their alarms going off at 3am and want someone to come and sort it out. Oh and your insurance company will no give you a discount unless the system is properly maintained.
              As to striking up a relationship with an engineer, i am an engineer and if any of you cheapskates tried it id tell you where to get off

Comment

• misop
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Otto-Mate
                Hi Dave

However if you have ruled that out several people have used the Visonic system...

M.
                i think a logic 4 should satisfy your needs...nice panel...

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Jan 2005

Hmm
                  I think I would agree with Monteey on this one.

The whole point of the maintenance is so that you have someone to call when it goes wrong in the middle of the night not just the yearly preventative visit.

If you have an issue with your alarm company you should go to their inspectorate, and if they dont have an inspectorate well you pays your money and you takes your choice.

£150 per annum seems a little ott though is the system monitored or fully comprehensive or rented???

We are NSI gold and would charge around £50.00 for audible only.(about the same as what you would save on your insurance premium for an NSI system)

Police responce is only available through an NSI or SSIAB approved alarm company and without Police responce there is very little point in paying out the £300 pa that BT charge for Redcare.

As to the chap thats installing alarm systems and not maintaining them have you not read B.S.4737 or B.S. E.N.50131 ? it is very irresponsible to install something that can become an enviromental problem in the future, and many companies such as yours have been successfully prosecuted for such.

Pete

Comment

• notnormalnorman
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by misop
                    Originally posted by Otto-Mate
                    Hi Dave

M.
                    i think a logic 4 should satisfy your needs...nice panel...
                    I fear the logic 4 may be a little out of depth?

Comment

• SJL
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Monteey
                      I totally agree about the engineers mystery code etc as when we fit a system we dont offer any contract (above the 12month gtee period) because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years
                      Well then you shouldnt be installing systems at all if you arent offering a contract. Its morons like you that give the alarm industry a bad name. Although you may think they are a waste of time, any company worth their salt will charge a premium to idiotic customers who phone up their alarms going off at 3am and want someone to come and sort it out. Oh and your insurance company will no give you a discount unless the system is properly maintained.
                      As to striking up a relationship with an engineer, i am an engineer and if any of you cheapskates tried it id tell you where to get off

I think the alarm industry has enough of a bad name already thanks!

Just to clarify all the systems that we fit are fitted to BS5750 standard and we give a 12 month free parts and labour (AND CALL OUT) warranty with them. If the customer wants a contract or needs to go on a Redcare we hand the system (for no fee) over to a local NACOSS alarm company, giving the customer freedom to choose wether to enter into a contract or enjoy 12 months of free cover and then have the ability to go with whoever they choose!

The insurance company discount is laughable in my opinion because for the sake of a £20 discount you HAVE to have your alarm armed whenever you leave the house and if you dont they wont pay up!

I agree that there are plenty of cowboys out there but just because a company has NACOSS or SSAIB certification it doesnt mean that they are doing the job any better than a non approved installer (I used to work for one of the biggest alarm companies in the world and the quality of their work and service procedures were laughable!)

If you actually bothered to read DCoplins post you will notice that he was asking advice for a panel to fit and manage himself after being fed up with the service he has received from his alarm company!

Comment

• notnormalnorman
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SJL
                        Not trying to step on anyones toes!
                        when we fit a system we dont offer any contract
                        You are loosing out on a great revenue source

Originally posted by SJL
                        because if a system is fitted properly there should be no problems apart from the system needing a replacement back up battery every few years!
                        What a terrible bit of advice, what about the painted PIR's, the sticking contact's and the encroaching high resistance on that cable that has been chewed by rodents???
                        Originally posted by SJL
                        I recommend that you ditch the contract
                        See above

Originally posted by SJL
                        find a local alarm engineer and strike up a relationship where he/she will come out as and when needed for a nominal call out charge!
                        i.e no response when the sounder is sounding @ 4am and the neighbours will be well impressed!

Originally posted by SJL
                        Thus saving you money in the long term
                        If it's just about the money, why not just not bother buying any 'nice things' worth stealing...et voila! :lol:

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Jan 2005

B.S. 5750 is a standard of quality (replaced by iso 9001 in 2002 ) and is not the B.S. for intruder alarms, it refers to your quality policy and has no reference to how to run cables fix items to walls ect ect.

I read the original post and my advise was directed at the original guy as well as yourself.

From the advice that you have given this chap, and your reply to my post it is clear you have not got a clue what you are talking about.

My advice to you would be to read some books (Library could be a good source) make sure they're the factual sort not fiction before you give anymore advice.

Peter

Comment

• AlarmEngineer
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Jan 2005

The insurance discount is usually around £50 I think you will find, and whats the point of having an alarm and not setting it???

The whole point of insurance companies is to make money, they dont want to give you a discount unless you do something for them.

They also want pay out if you leave your front door open and a big sign in the window saying "burgle me!"

Peter

Comment

• Monteey
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jan 2005

I used to work for one of the biggest alarm companies in the world and the quality of their work and service procedures were laughable!)
                              Yeah obviously 'toytown alarms ltd' as you obviously have not a clue what your talking about. If you did work for a big alarm company you would know that NACOSS and SSAIB are there to stop the cowboys, if you dont stick to their procedures (which they check on a regular basis) they kick you out, obviously your so called company had never heard of this so i view with doubt your claim.
                              If you actually bothered to read DCoplins post you will notice that he was asking advice for a panel to fit and manage himself after being fed up with the service he has received from his alarm company!
                              Ok well tell him to find a new company to deal with, true there are ones out there that shouldnt be graced with business, but by your reckoning, if you buy a car and you dont like the service you get from a garage, you ditch the garage and do it all yourself. Hmm yes i can really see someone with no mechanical knowledge changing their own brakes/doing major engine work.

Whether or not you agree and quite frankly i dont give a monkeys if you dont, people like you are the root cause of this industry getting a bad name. I suggest you stick to your playpen and leave the difficult stuff to the real professionals

Comment

Working...
                              X