Thread: Is Singledrop Connection Possible?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Is Singledrop Connection Possible?

Hi All,

I'm interested in the KAT5 products to transmit S-Video and Stereo audio but unfortunatly I only have a single network point near each of the 3 screens that I'd like to transmit to (found this site a little late).

I've looked at the diagrams for the Multidrop installation using a patch panel and I'm curious what problems I would encounter terminating the cables on the back of the patch panel (currently in my loft) instead of in a dual socket (which I don't have) it looks like I would effectivly have the same results (unless I'm overlooking something)?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Derek

Default Re: Is Singledrop Connection Possible?

Hi Derek

The reason multidrop has to be daisychained rather than the star wiring you are proposing is that cables carrying video signal MUST be terminated at the end of run otherwise reflections or echoes occur within the cable.

At best, this will result in slight blurring, slightly worse is a noticeable ghosting, and in severe cases, the picture will become unstable and may not display at all.

This is not a situation that is unique to KAT5, it applies to all video signals even point to point distribution using a dedicated coax.

Because the cable has to be correctly terminated, the intermediate receivers have their termination disabled which is fine as long at the receiver at the end of the run is correctly terminated.

If you were to star wire as you propose, the cables to the intermediate receivers would be long unterminated stubs and would cause reflections within the system. How severe this would be would depend on the lengths of the cables involved but there would definately be some degradation.

You cant set termination to "ON" in all the receivers as the transmitter would then be trying to drive multiple terminations and the signal levels would drop. The first sign would be a darkening of the picture and with even lower levels, instability and finally loss of picture. Again this applies to all forms of video distribution if the signal has multiple terminations.

If you only have a single cable then the only option is one transmitter per receiver but you would then need three cable to your source equipment unless it was located at the patch panel.

Hope that helps
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought that there's be some problems...

Do you know of any kind of hub system that would work (like the bluedelta one) with s-video? is there any that would work with the KAT5 solution?

Regards

Derek

Automated Home Lurker

Dont worry about the previous question, I've thought of a way to wire my rooms accordingly without major problems.

Thanks

Derek