• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Milesy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2006

Video Distribution

I imagine this topic has came up about a thousand times lol. I had a search through the forums and reading some of the previous topics, but nothing really suited me.

I am looking for a Video Matrix/Switcher, but not one of these "all-in-one" package solutions....

I already have some video/audio/ir over CAT5 units I want to use... so its really just the switcher.

I only need maybe 3-6 inputs but only 2/3 outputs if this can keep the price reasonable, which is my main concern. It also needs to be switched via IR remotely as well.

I am looking for a fairly cheap one (as I have the senders/recievers already).

Chris
  • andylaurence
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2006

Re: Video Distribution

Originally posted by Milesy
    I imagine this topic has came up about a thousand times lol. I had a search through the forums and reading some of the previous topics, but nothing really suited me.

I am looking for a Video Matrix/Switcher, but not one of these "all-in-one" package solutions....

I already have some video/audio/ir over CAT5 units I want to use... so its really just the switcher.

I only need maybe 3-6 inputs but only 2/3 outputs if this can keep the price reasonable, which is my main concern. It also needs to be switched via IR remotely as well.

I am looking for a fairly cheap one (as I have the senders/recievers already).

Chris
    I use a Holdan HSR1000, which has 7 inputs, and 3 outputs. Some of the inputs and outputs support RGB, but all of them support composite/SVideo and stereo audio. It's worth noting that some of the inputs are outputs at the same time. For example, the VCR SCART socket is both input number 2, and output number 2. You may need an interesting array of leads!

Cheers,
    Andy

Comment

• Milesy
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2006

thanks for the response.

do you leave your unit next to your TV? or do you have it in a centralised location? Would I be able to develop a infra red solution that would allow the unit to recieve the infrared and also to let other the video units recieve the infrared?

the main thing i want to do is not have any AV equipment visible in any the living rooms.

Comment

• andylaurence
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Mar 2006

thanks for the response.

do you leave your unit next to your TV? or do you have it in a centralised location? Would I be able to develop a infra red solution that would allow the unit to recieve the infrared and also to let other the video units recieve the infrared?

the main thing i want to do is not have any AV equipment visible in any the living rooms.
        Sounds like we're doing exactly the same thing. I have my video switch and sources in Node0. The outputs of the switch go into my CAT5 A/V baluns, and on to the TV. The CAT5 devices also send IR back to the switch. I use the standard IR remote to switch through the inputs. My Harmony has discrete codes for selecting sources, which is better than the standard remote, but I've not configured that yet.

I'm in two minds whether to use NetRemote and a bundle of identical remotes I picked up to control my hardware, or whether to do it all through XLobby to design screens for a PDA to control all the devices. I suspect the latter would be easier to use, but the former would have physical buttons, and be less work to setup.

Cheers,
        Andy

Comment

• Milesy
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2006

how do you get the IR to the AV equipment as well as the switch though?

Comment

• andylaurence
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2006

how do you get the IR to the AV equipment as well as the switch though?
            It's all in the same rack, so an IR blaster works for me. I suspect an IR splitter thingy (forget what they're called) like the Xantech ones would let you run multiple emitters.

Cheers,
            Andy

Comment

• Milesy
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2006

how do you join your IR from different zones to power the single blaster?

Comment

Working...
              X