Thread: Problem with Potterton System

Automated Home Lurker

Default Problem with Potterton System

Please can someone help. 2 separate problems which could be related. When hot water activated most of the radiators in the house become hot. Secondly CH side of things seems to ignore the programmer and can only be controlled via the thermostat - I can hear the relays clicking but it has no effect. Only been in the house 5 weeks so not sure if this is new or old . I cannot figure out what system I have but there is only one port valve (NOT a 3-way valve) and a frost thermostat in the garage.

Default Re: Problem with Potterton System

sounds like the zone valve could be passing (your one port )

are there any gate valves either side of the zone valve?

if so turn them off and give it a try.

just make shure the zone valve hasn't been manualy switched open,you can tell this by looking at the valve and there might be a slider on the side,give it a twidle.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for taking the time to reply. There are no valves either side of the zone valve which is switched to the auto position. Strangely the heating works even with the programmer removed from the wall. The only way I can turn it off is via the room thermostat. The zone valve is moving (the switch on the top of the unit is 'floppy' when the heating is activated).

If it helps there is no stat on the HW tank. Also the room thermostat does seem to be newer than the other components of the system and the frost thermostat has taken a nasty whack at some point in its life but you can still hear the contacts working.

I think my next step would be to take the cover off the frost stat and turn it down as far as it goes.

when you down your room stat does the pump turn off ?

Automated Home Lurker

Will pull the frost stat apart and turn it down as much as possible. When I turn the room stat down the pump does turn off after about 5 mins. I think this is due to the pump over-run??

sorry osmith but it looks like the zone valve,

your boiler is getting a feed from some where,

your right the system must have a pump over run on it,

the system hasn't had a new pump on at any time has it?

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for your time Sunbeam. My extremely limited knowledge of these things is driving me mad. Although I can understand that one of the switches in the zone valve may be stuck and supplying a continuous feed to the boiler. Is there anyway I can test it? I have a multimeter and the motor unit detaches from the underlying valve.

Your help is very much appreciated.

actually osmith i might be having second thoughts on the valve,

can you see how many pipes are coming off the boiler,and if you can see which way the pump is pumping i.e. in or out of the boiler,

does the clock look new?

because I can't see why there should be a connection between the boiler and the zone valve,the zone valve open and closes with the room stat.