• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osprey
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2005

CAT5e patch panel choice

Need to get hold of a few 16 way patch panels.

First off thought I would use 16 way, to make cabling a bit easier than 24 way (assume nobody would disagree with that ?)

Looking around I see CAT5e patch panels conforming to standard T568.B for £14.95 (and plenty for around £17 - networkcables) ... same outlet (Mills) also sell the Bessac make which are twice the price £29
    Is there any point in spending twice the money ? if they both conform to same standard.

If somebody knows of a better supplier for CAT5e panels then pray tell.
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Re: CAT5e patch panel choice

Unless you want 16-way for a specific application, I'd always go with 24-way as it gives you the most sockets per "U" of rack height.

I haven't followed the links you posted, but what you may get with the more expensive panels is better cable management on the rear of the panel.

I've got a couple of panels where the reverse is just a series of punchdown terminals and a few loops for cable ties. They're fine, but you just need a bit more care when dressing the cables out.

Some other panels have a plate that extends horizontally towards the rear of the rack to which you can cable-tie individual cables, like this http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=CS03194

eBay usually has a good selection, but if you can get brand new for ~£15 then that sounds like a good price to me :-)

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
    X