Thread: Radiators on with hot water

Automated Home Lurker

Default Radiators on with hot water

Hi Guys, your help would be great!!! A while back when the weather was colder - we put the heating on (obviously been off all summer)... rads worked fine.... anyway with the warm weather we have suddenly had we turned off the central heating (electronic programmer).... and just left the hot water on as ususal.... but for some reason the rads are coming on now as well - even though the thermostat downstairs is turned right down and on the electronic programme the heating is showing off .. have looked for answers via this forum and suggestions seem to have been either a diverter valve or check valve. So any guidance on what could be the problem would be appreciated. :lol: and whether its going to be expensive!!

Default Re: Radiators on with hot water

do you have a copper cylinder xsaravtsgirl if so in the cupboard where the cylinder is there might be the diverter valve pump etc.

depending on what make of valve it is there will be a slider on the side,

when on water only have a feel if the slider is slack.

if tou have a combi boiler see if you can see a name.

Automated Home Lurker

I have a similar problem.
    When the hot water is on, then the heating is also on - even if the heating control of selected 'off'. The mid position valve does move (so I assume it is working) when the heating is turned on and off, but the central heating pump continues regardless of the position of the valve or setting on the controller.
    I'm not a professional by any means, but this sounds like a controller error - it is sending power to the pump when it shouldn't be.

The controller is a Siebe Lifestyle LP522.

Any ideas?

the pump will keep running,

does the heating still come on if the room thermostat is turned down?

Automated Home Lurker

Still having problems...... from memory at our last house we had the 3-way port valve changed..... I am sure you know.... this is the unit that has wires connected from the electronic controller above and then pipes in from the water cylinder.... it has a metal stick/that moves... or at least should this be moving between auto and manual.....I have had to go round and turn off most of the rads.....
    how easy is it to replace this unit? my husband is good with gas (mainly for fireplaces, etc), not so good with wiring.... would he have to drain down the system to fit this unit?? and would we how would we know whether we need a two or three way port valve? Thanks guys. :lol:

Automated Home Lurker

You do not need to change the whole valve if thai is where the fault lies all you need to do is to buy a new replace motor that sits on top of the valve. These do go faulty after a while and the valves get stuck. It is not a difficult job to do but be carefull not to lose the tiny screws when taking the old motor off as you will need them to fix the new motor in position.
    Turn of the electrical supply to the boiler while chaning the motor.