Thread: Worcester 24i - boiler pressure v low

Automated Home Lurker

Default Worcester 24i - boiler pressure v low

Hi, my boiler pressure is showing as just above zero. It will take weeks to get an engineer as it is on housing association contract. I know the system needs topping up, but haven't a clue how to do it, and manual has no diagrams which I can recognise. I'm sure I can do this myself, but I don't know what to look for.

Under the boiler is a panel, and within that is a smaller panel. I took off the smaller panel which exposes two pipes. One on the left has a flat black switch.

The larger panel is nicely finsihed off around the edges so I don;t want to disturb that one until I have an idea what to do.

Can you help?

Default Re: Worcester 24i - boiler pressure v low

This page offers some suggestions on how to do it for combi (or combination) boilers.
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TO...MBI_BOILER.htm

However, read the page carefully and then go back to the manual to ensure you understand what's going on. I wouldn't want you invalidating your existing service contract/warranty, or flooding your house, if you open the wrong valve :-)

If in doubt, post some more details about the system (boiler make, model etc.) and we'll be able to offer more advice.

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Hey Tim,

thanks for the link. From the pic i was able to be sure that the black tap I can see on flexible pipe is the one i want. the filling loop.

the make is Worcester 24i combi.
    My next question is how should it be before guage begins to move, or i can hear water going into the tank?

Tracy

you should be able to hear the water running in,

it shouldn't take long some boilers lose all their pressure after losing a cup full.

Automated Home Lurker

So if it doesn't happen straight away is there a problem with the valve? Have turned the switch but nothing happens at all. :cry:

What you might find is that you have a separate isolation valve before the "black" valve.

Close the back valve, then use a flat-blade screwdriver to open the isolation valve. Then slowly open the black valve and watch the pressure rise. When high enough, close the black valve and use the screwdriver to close the isolation valve. Read the warnings on the link I posted previously re: over-pressuring the system :-)

The separate isolation valve prevents accidental operation of the filling loop.

HTH,

Tim.

so tracy, you have turned on the valve that is connected to the filling loop (the silver flexible tube) and nothing has happened?

sometimes there is another valve on the other end of the filling loop.

sometimes the black tap doesn't turn the valve on even though it looks like it has (plastic)

Automated Home Lurker

if you can imagine the boiler and its outer casing on the wall. Underneath all the pipework is covered by a built in box and secured to the wall. The box has a panel in the centre which can be opened seperatley. This section shows two pipe sections. The left hand on has a black tap easily reached, and the top of the tap leads to a piece of flexible pipe. This is the one I tried to open to no avail. Or I should say, when turned nothing happens. The right pipe has a connection and a stiff tap set sideways, and impossible to turn as the opening is not big enough to allow a hand to get far enough across.
    The contractors clearly set this opening up to show the filling loop tap only. I assume.

On my combi boiler the left tap is for filling and the right tap is a sprungloaded one meaning that when you let go it returns to the off position. I think this is the pressure relief valve. I use the left tap for filling.
    One thing to look for on the flexible tube is for what looks like a slotted screw, this is a valve. Its normally on one end of the tube. My parents have one their boiler.
    Any chance of a photo of what you see at the boiler, this might make things more clearer for us.