• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyW
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2004

Router Hub Hub Connection

With the advent of Adsl I how have a router as well as 2 Hubs (1x8 port and 1x4 port) on my network. I have simply added the router, for set up purposes, as a node on the exsisting 8 port hub. I didn't have to make any adjustments like uplink port, as I did when linking the two hubs.
    I intended to put my office compters (2) directly into the router, using 1 router port to link to the 8 port hub leaving the spare router port for the laptop when in the office. This would free up ports on the 8 port hub.
    However it occours to me that it might be better practice to patch both hubs off the Router.

All PCs ( 8 ) require access to the internet via the router and Homeseer web pages on the HA server which is on the 8 port hub. I have one ip and the router does the Nat/firewall/DCHP stuff.

Any thoughts/advice/warnings about how I should set up?
    Dazed but not defeated
  • Ric
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2004

Re: Router Hub Hub Connection

Really, you should have all your computers connected to the hubs. Then connect your router to one of these hubs.

Since you are using hubs (rather than switches) it makes no difference how you connect these to your router because a hub simply broadcasts each packet received to all ports.

All your computers will then be able to communicate with each other and your just need to set the default gateway on each to the router's IP address.
    Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful

Comment

• b2
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2004

ditto what Ric says.

Multiple routers *sometimes* cause problems. . . .best to stick with 1 router and multiple hubs is needed.

Comment

• b2
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2004

Re: Router Hub Hub Connection

From a post on HomeSeer board by smee
        (HomeSeer Message Board > Forums >General Discussion >adding a second router)

Why do you want to add another router? If all you want is more ports, get a switch instead.

If you do use a router, you need to make sure that you go in and turn off anything that might conflict with your current router (DHCP server, etc.). You usually don't want to have two things on your network trying to provide the same services.

Here's an example of a switch:
        Linksys 5-port switch
        There are plenty of switches available at pretty cheap prices.

Both switches and hubs add ports. Hubs take a broadcast approach - all messages go to all devices connected to the hub. Switches route the messages only to the devices they are addressed to. A switch uses the network more efficiently. Switches are so cheap these days that there's really no reason to go with a hub.

The switch will probably have an uplink port on it. You connect a normal cable from this port to one of the connections on your current router. This will add connections to your network.

If all you are looking for is more ports, you definitely should go with adding a switch. Trying to work with a second router may cause all sorts of "interesting" things to happen.

In my setup, I have a Linksys router with a 4-port internal switch (sounds similar to your setup). I have 2 switches connected to this - an 8-port and a 24-port (good deal on the rack-mount 24).
        And from fireball
        Speaking from many customer's experiences that I've had to go in and fix plugging a router into a router (especially the lower end models like what you can pick up at all the electronics stores) plugging a router into a router can cause some weird, serious, occasional (as in its near impossible to track the pattern), and confusing problems. Follow everyone's advice and get another hub/switch if you're wanting extra ports. If you're trying to segment your network further then get a switch, set up however many VLAN's you need, get a good router, and assign multiple IP's to the same interface to router between the VLAN's.

Comment

Working...
        X