• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svu
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2006

lights turning on by themselves

Hi.

I have several X10-enabled wall switches in my house. A couple of days ago (without any changes in the electricity configuration) they started behaving oddly - switching on without any command (especially nice in the middle of the night).

First, I turned all all X10 command senders (RF tranciever and computer module) - but the behaviour did not change.

Then I changed the house code (thinking bad about my neighbors ) - but it helped for one night only. Actually, during that night one wall switch was still using old house code, I switched it to the new one next morning - but when lights started turning on again last night, switching it back to the old house code did not help either. Still, I am now suspecting this switch in generating some X10-related noise (is it possible?)

So, now I have pretty annoying behavior of the lights in the night - I have to take fuses out of them in order to sleep well

Any help would be highly appreciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: lights turning on by themselves

If you have a CM11 try taking the batteries out, for a few hours. You can leave them out unless you need the built in clock, as all they do is keep the internal clock running during a powercut.
    If that doesn´t work you may neeed an X10 filter such as an FD10, fitted in you fuse box. I would fit one of these any way.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• svu
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2006

Thanks, I will try it tonight!

Comment

• Jimll
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2006

I would add to toscals post and leaving it unplugged for a couple of hours also.
        James Clabon

Comment

• svu
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2006

I did as you advised. Moreover, I took the controller out of the mains for a night. And still a couple of times lights went on during that night. IMHO it proves controller has nothing to do with it (or at least it is not only controller's trouble). Any more ideas? Could it be caused by any of the X10-enabled wall switchers gone mad (some fault in electronics)?

Comment

• IanH
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2006

could it be that your neighbours also have X10 modules, and you are cross controlling?

Comment

• Dazman
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2006

Hello,

If you have a CM11 then you must be using PC control.
              Is your PC running the system 24/7, ie Homeseer etc.
              Can you look in the log file and see if it's an x10 command that operates your lights at these strange times.
              If it's not then this proves that its not a x10 command being sent across your system.
              And points at a fault in the light modules.

Just an idea.
              Hope it helps.
              Good Luck !

Dee.

Comment

• svu
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by IanH
                could it be that your neighbours also have X10 modules, and you are cross controlling?
                That was the first thing I thought of (which is highly unlikely though). That is why I changed the house code. Two times. With no effect

Comment

• svu
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dazman
                  Hello,

If you have a CM11 then you must be using PC control.
                  Is your PC running the system 24/7, ie Homeseer etc.
                  Yes I do run Heyu (it is the solution for linux). It shows in the log all the events - for example, when I use remote control to switch lights on/off.

Can you look in the log file and see if it's an x10 command that operates your lights at these strange times.
                  Sure I did it. No commands. It is just shows my desperate "All Lights Off" which I send from remote control (being crudely woken up by the lights - in the middle of the night :twisted: ) That's what really puzzles me!

If it's not then this proves that its not a x10 command being sent across your system.
                  And points at a fault in the light modules.
                  Then what it is? Can several light modules (4!) become faulty simultaneously?

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Have you tried a whole house X10 filter such as an FD10. This will prevent X10 signals from entering or leaving the house. It also filters out any noise around the 120 KHz, which is the frequency X10 uses. Something else to think about is you may have an appliance causing noise. Try unplugging things like washing machine etc. Also check your consumer unit there could be a loose connection, you might want an electrician to do this one. What else, try disabling all modules except one then gradually put the others back one at a time.
                    This is where an X10 data logger comes in handy, these measure X10 signal strength and the noise you have on the mains.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• svu
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by toscal
                      Have you tried a whole house X10 filter such as an FD10. This will prevent X10 signals from entering or leaving the house. It also filters out any noise around the 120 KHz, which is the frequency X10 uses.
                      No, I have not tried yet. I am thinking about it - but you know, I have to be sure it would help... I do not want to throw (GBP26 + postage) to the garbage bin...

Something else to think about is you may have an applianc
                      e causing noise. Try unplugging things like washing machine etc.
                      Can they cause noice when they are turned off (in the middle of the night)? Well, I'll try (though it is not going to be easy - many kitchen appliances are built-in...)

Also check your consumer unit there could be a loose connection, you might want an electrician to do this one.
                      Ghm... It really might be the case. The problems started around the time electrician last time fixed wiring... Though not immediately after that event.

What else, try disabling all modules except one then gradually put the others back one at a time.
                      I tried to find an easy way to disable LW10 wall switch module... It seems the only way is to unwire it altogether...

This is where an X10 data logger comes in handy, these measure X10 signal strength and the noise you have on the mains.
                      Yes! I think I really need it! Do not you remember the name of such module/tool? Is it expensive?

Thanks for your ideas, they are definitely a good food for thought...

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

There are 2 types of X10 diagnostics equipment available that I know of. One of them is very expensive and the other not as expensive.
                        The cheaper one is an X10 Transmitter, and X10 Signal Strength Meter. This is 2 units one is an X10 transmitter and the other measures the strength of the signal. Its quite basic Lets Automate actually offer a rental service for this device which is a good idea www.letsautomate.com/10948.cfm?
                        The other is really only for installers and costs 700 euros. http://www.intellihome.be/english/pr...iew.asp?id=153 or you can get a similar device, its actually the same but has different buttons on it. From Act-solutions http://www.act-solutions.com/pdfs/PC...001si_spec.PDF
                        I got mine from ACT for about 300 dollars including shipping. And its excellent. I guess this might be a little too expensive for most people.
                        But since Lets automate can rent an X10 signal strength meter for about 7.50 pounds for a week this might be a better option for you.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Dazman
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Feb 2006

[quote="svu"]
                          Then what it is? Can several light modules (4!) become faulty simultaneously?
                          Hmmm yes I see your point, 4 modules becoming faulty at the same time it doubtful. But they could be from the same production batch. But as you suspect, unlikely.

As for a noise source from other appliances, your fridge & freezer are on 24hours a day. These contain devices that can sometimes emit noise.
                          Although I don't suggest you unplug your fridge for 24 hours !

A tropical fish tank can sometimes cause noise if you have one.

Lets automate sell an appliance filter.

They provide a cure or return service. If is doesn't fix the problem you can send it back.

Hope this helps.

Darren.

Comment

• CWatters
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Nov 2006

Could the noise be from the central heating ? Try leaving heating off overnight.

Comment

Working...
                            X