• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandits007
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2006

Control Light Switches....n00b quetsion

Hello....I am a noob at this....
    We just recently moved into a new house and I would slowly like to get everything automated. I had 2 questions.

1. I have 3 Bathrooms in the house which have 2 switches right next to eachother. 1 Controlls the lights and the other controlls the exhaust fan. I am looking for something that senses motion and automatically turns both the light and the exhaust on.
    ==I did some searching on google and found that these things are called occupancy switches. Well...the point where I am confused is that will I have to purchase 2 occupancy sensor switches can I get away with only getting 1 switch, that will control both the light and the exhaust fan.

2. I have several rooms where I would like to control the lights with a remote. I am thinking of purchasing the Logitech Harmony 890 remote but if the experts here can suggest a better remote, I'll consider that as well. All these lights are ceiling lights that can be dimmed. I would like to be able to turn these lights on/off or dim them. I saw the x10 decorator dimmer switches I have no idea how good these things are.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Control Light Switches....n00b quetsion

You can do it with one occupancy sensor, and connect both the light and fan to this. This is the quick way. There are other methods, which might be possible using X10 modules.
    For the IR remote control of lights I would go for the Harmony 895 as this comes with a wireless IR extender. You will also need an IR-RF 7243 unit. This works either via IR or X10 RF codes as well. You will need some X10 modules as well. The Harmony can be set up via the harmony website set up program for the remote. There is an option for IR X10 codes. Then teach the IR-RF unit the codes and thats about it. IF you go this route then you could use an X10 wireless MS13E occupancy sensor and an X10 appliance module in the bathroom. You can configure the MS13 so that it has an off delay from 1 min to 255 min.
    Hope this helps you.
    Ohh one last thing where did you see the X10 decora switches as these are normally for the US market. 220/240 version are available but may not have proper type approval etc. I'm thinking of the part P regulations for this.
    I think Laser does the Leviton style in 220/240 volt decora style switches. See www.laser.com . if you do use these then you will need a US style back box and faceplate.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Bandits007
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2006

I guess I should have mentioned......I am in the US

I am allowed to hang out here right?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Of course all are welcome. I live in sunny Spain, though its not that sunny at the moment.
        IF you are in the US then you might want to look at the Advanced Control Technologies. www.act-solutions.com/PCC something like the RD134 might be of interest to you or the TB100.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X