• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Draz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2005

Energy saving bulbs and X10 appliance module AM12U

Recently I've replaced a couple of energy saving bulbs that I control with appliance modules. The new bulbs flash when the am12u is switched off. I've tried all my am12u's and these bulbs flash in all of them.

I hadn't noticed this before. One bulb is almost like a strobe lamp. It needs to be dark before you can see this as the flash isn't full brightness by any means. I've bought three different makes of bulb and all of them do the same thing.

So is the fault with the bulbs? - obviously the am12u does not isolate the lamp as well as the normal switch.

Anyone else noticed this?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Energy saving bulbs and X10 appliance module AM12U

Where the old bulbs energy saving. If they where are the new ones of the same type and wattage. Have you tried to control a normal bulb with your appliance modules. It may be the actual wattage of the bulb is too low. I can't remember off hand what the minimum is but if the energy saver is too low this may cause problems.
    Any one else have other ideas.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Jimll
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2006

I believe that the appliance modules leak a bit of voltage through to what you are controlling. It does this to enable the power detection feature, which allows you to switch on a appliance manually without turning on the x10 unit from a remote etc. (I have found that this feature does not work reliably!) I think that this is what you are seeing. So I don't think that anything is faulty just faulty by design!
      James Clabon

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The newer version of the appliance modules don't have this auto sense feature. But then many shops may have older stock.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Draz
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jimll
          I believe that the appliance modules leak a bit of voltage through to what you are controlling. It does this to enable the power detection feature, which allows you to switch on a appliance manually without turning on the x10 unit from a remote etc. (I have found that this feature does not work reliably!) I think that this is what you are seeing. So I don't think that anything is faulty just faulty by design!
          Thanks for the infomation, this is why my new bulbs flash. I checked my appliance modules and they all have the auto switch-on feature. It doesn't work with my lamps but I tested them with a kettle and my modules do indeed turn on with the kettle (well sometimes).

My new bulbs must but much more efficient then the old ones as they are responding to this 'leaked' voltage. I didn't even know that appliance modules had this auto turn-on feature.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

It is possible to turn off this autosense or current sensing. I say turn it off. Its more like hacking the module and making a few snips to a component or 2.
            Have a look here www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/ unfortunately the modules in the text are US ones but it may point you in the right direction.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X