• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

CM12U Help Please!

Just bought the USB version of CM12U x10 interface, and having problems already..

It seems to 'die' after just handling just one x10 command. I then need to re-start my PC to get it to work again!

I've tried with Activehome and Homeseer, but the same happens.

Anyone got any advise?

snx.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: CM12U Help Please!

Are you running windows XP with service pack 2.
    If you are then there are known issues with the USB interface.
    Can you try using the serial interface. As this should have come with the unit as well.
    If you have only USB ports then go to the control panel and select system and harware manager. Check the number of the serial port that the USB interface is using and change it to a lower one if possible. Some software prefer the serial port number to be lower than 4. I don't think this is your problem but it is worth a try.
    Have you tired deleting the USB driver for the Cm12 and re-installing it.

Another trick is to get Activehome to run in Windows 2000 mode
    This is how to do it:
    1. Right click the ActiveHome icon.
    2. Choose Properties.
    3. Select the tab Compatibility.
    4. Select “Execute this program in these compatibility modules: • Windows 2000”.
    You may have to change the default serial port from COM2 to something else.
    Then see if Activehome works. IF it does I'm not too sure what too do for Homeseer. Try looking on their forums for answers.
    A good old favourite of mine is to remove the CM unit from the mains and the backup batteries, these are used to backup the clock so if you don't need them leave them out. Especially if you are using Homeseer.
    After about 2 to 4 hours plug the unit back into the mains, and the batteries if you need them.
    Something else to check is the Activehome bridge, make sure this is not running when using Homeseer. I have had some issues with the Activehome bridge on a W98SE pc and exiting Activehome and closing the bridge and then re-running Activehome normally solved this.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've tried lots of things, but I just couldn't get it to work with my desktop PC (XP SP2), even via the Com port.

However, it seems to work fine ony a old Windows 2000 laptop.

It's quite frustrating as the laptop is on it's way out, and I really wanted to setp up a new server for running homeseer and straming media etc.

Does anyone know if the CM12 will work with Windows Xp / Server 2003 etc.? Is it only compatible with old OSs?

Thanks.

snx

Comment

• Draz
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jul 2005

The CM12U does work with XP and Window 2003 server, because mine is on 2003. The problem is software. If you are trying Active Home, that can be a real pain to get working on xp as it tries to install the old Win98 vxd driver. I seem to remember that only a few versions of Active home work on XP

I use xPL - http://www.xplproject.org.uk. It works great and is issued under the GNU General Public License. xPL is capable of doing everything you need from automation software and is free.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Hi did you try setting Activehome to run in Windows 2000 mode.
          I can get Active home to work in XP Pro without any problems. I didn't even have to set it to Windows 2000 mode befoe running it. My version is the latest version.
          You can get version 1.42 from here

Also you may want to have a look here at the FAQs for the CM11 which is virtually identical to the Cm12 anyway.
          Wireless HDMI ✓ Present wirelessly & watch TV wirelessly ✓ HDMI splitter & HDMI switch 4K/8K ✓ Bluetooth adapter ✓ IR extender

And try here for anther place to download the sofware
          Wireless HDMI ✓ Present wirelessly & watch TV wirelessly ✓ HDMI splitter & HDMI switch 4K/8K ✓ Bluetooth adapter ✓ IR extender

You could also see if the actual X10 site has any other info.

Good luck.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • May 2006

Thanks for your replies and links etc. But I'm not really to fussed about using ActiveHome, as i got Z-wave devices as well, so i need to use Homeseer. But I'm pretty sure I used the latest version of Active Home.

I think i'll run homeseer on th elaptop for now, until I rebuild my pc and maybe put on Server 2003.

i'll look into xPL, but I assume it doesn't support Z-Wave?

Thanks again.

snx.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Just had a thought have you tried clearing the memory of the CM12, it may have got corrupted. You can do this via Homeseer at least on V1.7 you could not too sure about V2.0. If not just connect to Activehome.
              Also have a look at these threads on the Homeseer forum

General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
              X