• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MccLtd
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2006

Front door security advise

Hi,

I have a new build house with one of those new stupid pvcu high security front doors ( a link http://www.anglianhome.co.uk/doors_pvcu_security.htm)

Yes there great when no one is in as you lift the handle and it throws all those bolts then you lock it, brilliant.

Not when your indoors thou unless you lock yourself in.

How many people lock the front door behind them when they go indoors? Not many as most front doors cant be opened from the outside by twisting the handle you normally need a key.
    Not with these doors, just come on in.

Now can anyone recomend what I can do, I looked at biometric door handles but they wont operate the super dead locks in the door as they come into action when you lift the door handle so I need an add on.
    Any ideas, I would like to go down the biometric route so the kids can come and go as they wish when someones in just using their fingers then if we go out we can throw the dead locks and lock it.
    But I need someway of keeping the door locked, maybe those large magnet things, but then they need power all the time to keep them holding the door.

Please help as I go away in two weeks leaving the kids and I know there gonna forget to lock the door when there in, having a shower upstairs in their room and the thieves thinking great unlocked doors.

cheers,

DAve.
    (PS. 2 neghbours have allready had people walk in and thieve)

Oh yes and I do have a comfort alarm system if thats any help.
    Regards,

Da\/e.
    webshopwww.medwaycomputers.co.uk
    PCbuild shopwww.instantpc.co.uk
    Our new Forum:www.hardwareit.co.uk
    One Stop PC-I.T Shop
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Front door security advise

Have a look at this site,

Its a wireless locking system for UPVC doors. It is possible to set up the system so that it goes into a latching state after 20 seconds, this disables the outdoor handle so you can turn the indoor one and leave but no-one can enter. They also do a conenction for a smoke alarm so if fire is detected it will automatically put all doors into this latch state. I think it can be retro fitted but I'm not too sure if its a DIY job.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• nigelh
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2004

Not sure this is too helpful but just to say that Comfort has a Biometric interface due very shortly. Also if you post this topic in the Comfort forums you may get some pearls of wisdom? www.comfortforums.com.

Nigel

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Dave,

You should be able to get the outside handle changed for one that doesn't open the door. You would still lift it up to shoot the bolts but it won't push down and open the door. To open it you would need to turn the key in the lock.

My last house had a front door like this, although the current one is now like yours :-(

Once you've changed the handle you can, of course, lock yourself out by simply shutting the door but you do at least avoid the opportunist, walk-by thieves.

Have a chat with a replacement windows company.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• MccLtd
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2006

thanks for he replies.

Any other forums that may be able to help, the comfort one seems a bit quiet.
          Regards,

Da\/e.
          webshopwww.medwaycomputers.co.uk
          PCbuild shopwww.instantpc.co.uk
          Our new Forum:www.hardwareit.co.uk
          One Stop PC-I.T Shop

Comment

• HomeAV
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2006

Take a look at this: http://www.spicyhome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

Mythbusters was able to crack the biosensors.

Comment

Working...
            X