Thread: Doggy MA1?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Doggy MA1?

Hi, I'm new!

Have been moved in my new house a few months now and the heating did work fine. Have been in the process of chaning the programmer (to one with independent HW and CH times) and rewiring it (it was right but all wrong if you know what i mean and a complete mess - done by a guess what goes hear theory)

But i now have a problem, CH works on its own, so does HW on it own - both work togther but the 3 port valve sits in the middle clicking and moving the lever a m/m each way constantly.

I believe all is wired correctly - 3 people have checked this, plus it is the same with both the old and new programmers. I got my self data sheets for all the stats etc, and the 3 port valve. So im questioning why a 3 port valve can go wrong from just sorting everythng else...

Ideas would be super, thanks!

Kev.

Default Re: Doggy MA1?

it sounds like the valve is back feeding from somewhere,

what make of valve is it?

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam
    it sounds like the valve is back feeding from somewhere,

what make of valve is it?
    Drayton MA1 Mid position valve (22mm y plan)

Have re-tested all the connections of the Valve and Stats today. Can cure it by pushing the lever on the top about 1mm to the heating position then it stops clicking until it moves under it's own power/control. What ever holds it to the mid position is faiing then its calling back to HTG on then back to mid etc....
    Did notice also two things: one of the plastic location lugs the locate it to the brass valve had broken off - now both are gone so so weak and old! Plus when you remove the head the location of the flats on the shaft is not quite upright but the plastic bit it locates in is (my valve is horizonal) The shaft is hard to move with plyers and t my suprise doesnt move as far as you think it would - i think this is ok thou. I think its a micro switch - hope to test tomorrow at work. I have located a local stockist and a can change the head if ness for £30. Or indeed the value it's self is stiff or not allowing it to be moed freely. From being an amater i have soon learnt that these valves are a total weak point of a system!

Automated Home Lurker

Sorted. Combination of a doggy Micro switch and warn seating pins. New one got for £30 - bargin, and just in time for the frost! Cheers.