• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2004

Re: What no Z-Wave?

Originally posted by Wolfthing
    I've spoken with a couple of people who are "full on" X10 people and asked them what they thought of it. They said it was good but sometimes it doesn't work - a result of X10's lack of acknowledgment on commands. One of the chaps suggested I look up Z-Wave, and glad I did.
    8) :P
    Cheers,
    Darren

Comment

• Wolfthing
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2004

I don't want people to stop discussing Z-Wave here, but just to let people know, there is lots of Z-Wave discussion at the Homeseer site.

There's some specific UK Z-Wave discussion at...

Comment

• Wolfthing
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2004

I've stolen this link from the Homeseer forum! I sifted through and found the information from the mess!

It looks like we've got a company, based in the Netherlands, who are going into "Mass Production" October 2004.

Clicking on the Technology button names "Z-Wave" as their network protocol, and clicking on the "Network" link confirms all the typical Z-Wave behaviours (it also shows a very nice Backlit remote - which is what the HomePro seems to lack).

I've fired off an e-mail to them, asking all the questions we want answers to, watch this space, and I'll post the reply.

Comment

• Wolfthing
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2004

As promised here's the reply I received from the Managing Director of ICOM-Technology: -

Thanks for your interest in our ICOM product line. We are still in negotiation with several companies concerning partnership for the UK-market, but in the short run we expect to finalize. After that we will inform you about our UK-partnership(s).

Our product could be compatible with other Z-Wave partners, but it depends of the result of the negotiations and the wishes/requests of our future partners.

Regards
          ICOM-Technology BV

Frans Pex, managing-director

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Very similar to reply I got from ZenSys.

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Wolfthing
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jun 2004

Looks like we're left playing a waiting game.

I'm still surprised that Zen-Sys didn't inject a lot of money, or kick off it's own manufacturing line to boot the Z-Wave stuff into the market place. Instead of this rumour and trickle approach.

It would be nice to see some X10 trade up options like, 30% discount if you send us your X10 equivalent modules. But this would need quite a large backer.

The whole marketing approach appears to be all a little botched - I've read of people opting for X10 purely on grounds of supply - and not reliability, build or functionality. It's all a bit disappointing... :cry:

Comment

• AutomatedOutlet
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Aug 2004

We now are restocked on all of the UK Zwave items. They are going fast though - http://www.automatedoutlet.com/custo...me.php?cat=121

Thanks,

Martin
                Martin Custer
                Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
                www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2000

Having just ordered a couple more zwave modules, I went to look at the the zwave thread on the homeseer forum.
                  I found this:

Basically it seems when a light bulb (halogen or incandescent) burns out (i.e shorts), it blows a hardwired fuse in the lamp module which means the unit needs to go back for repair/replacement. This is a HUGE defect if it applies to all lamp modules manufactured. There is no confirmation if this has been observed in all lamp modules shipped. But it's worth looking out for. I guess I will find out soon enough when bulbs and units start blowing!!!

Keyvan

Comment

• keyvan
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Anonymous
                    Having just ordered a couple more zwave modules, I went to look at the the zwave thread on the homeseer forum.
                    I found this:

Basically it seems when a light bulb (halogen or incandescent) burns out (i.e shorts), it blows a hardwired fuse in the lamp module which means the unit needs to go back for repair/replacement. This is a HUGE defect if it applies to all lamp modules manufactured. There is no confirmation if this has been observed in all lamp modules shipped. But it's worth looking out for. I guess I will find out soon enough when bulbs and units start blowing!!!

Keyvan
                    Sorry, didn't login before posting ops:

Keyvan

Comment

• Wolfthing
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jun 2004

I've only got the one lamp module and I do confess to doing a very silly thing.

I wanted to use my 1000W drill, and plugged it into the same 6 Way gang that had the lights on, that was in turn plugged into my Lamp Module - which was on.

Why did I do this? I was lazy.

If you've seen my review on Z-Wave, you would have a glimpse of my sockets in the garage and understand.

Anyway, what happened? It all stopped, that's what happened - lights went out and the drill didn't start, let alone stop.

I unplugged the drill, unplugged the lamp module, and plugged it back in again, and it all worked - I didn't have to reprogramme it either!

Comment

• AutomatedOutlet
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Aug 2004

It takes a brave man to admit that one! It's actually a good lesson for everyone though.
                        Martin Custer
                        www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Comment

• --Richard
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Feb 2005

According to the homeseer forum, the problems with blown out lamps are completely resolved. Can't check this for myself though.

Richard
                          ----
                          More home automation on http://info.spruitnet.nl

Comment

• AutomatedOutlet
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Aug 2004

Yes, I have been told this as well. In addition, it appears that returns on defective modules has gone down quite a bit.

Martin
                            Martin Custer
                            www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Comment

Working...
                            X