• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolfthing
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2004

What no Z-Wave?

Okay I'm convinced. Z-Wave is definitely the future and is a natural evolutionary step from the sometimes unpredictable X10. I haven't heard a bad word about Z-Wave.

However, does anyone know where you can buy the UK variants?

I've spoken with one supplier and they're being asked to buy an impossibly large stock of the stuff.

And Autom8it.com have not yet announced they have a stock, and I suspect that they're waiting to get enough pre-orders to justify buying any stock at all!

So where is it!???
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: What no Z-Wave?

I believe www.letsautomate.com are about to stock Z-Wave after a few posts on the mailing list this week.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Wolfthing
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2004

I've spoken with them and they're having difficulties getting them in. Looks like they're being asked to make an enormous purchase. I don't think it's they're fault but their supplier/distributor.

They've got the remotes in but no modules.

I'm sure I'm just one of several people waiting to spend loads of money on the stuff - I really don't want to go down the X10 route!

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

It's the old story it seems, needs a brave company in the UK to submit a large order.

I have a couple of Z-Wave modules that Jim Brett sent me and they do seem like good stuff.

Hopefully it's only a matter of time until someone takes them on.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Wolfthing
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2004

Well if there are any suppliers out there, or anybody who knows of any suppliers who have Z-Wave stock, a post here would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Automated Home is a Media Partner for the up-coming "Connected Home Forum".

They have just launched the event website and I notice Z-Wave/Zensys are listed at the bottom as exhibitors/sponsors...

Also listed is "Chris Johnson, VP, European Business Development, Zensys" as one of the speakers. Hopefully this is an indication of their interest in the UK market.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• b2
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2004

www.automatedoutlet.com in USA has some UK Zwave.

Email Martin for help.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                Founder
                • Jan 2004

Some updated info just posted from the horses mouth...

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Wolfthing
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jun 2004

Excellent, they're listening!

I sent Martin @ Automated Outlet an e-mail and he confirms they have some stock with more arriving within a couple of weeks.

Despite never hearing of Automated Outlet before, I placed the order this morning for two Lamp modules and a Remote Control (is there a difference between a US remote and a UK remote?)

Okay, I'm ever so slightly suspicious of a company outside of the UK, selling UK modules - it's unheard of. If this is a valid, reliable source, then it may solve some immediate problems.

When I receive the order, I'll either post a review in this forum or might do something a little more comprehensive - on both the Z-Wave stuff and the company Automated Outlet.

Comment

• keyvan
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jan 2004

Am I being stupid or is the VP from Zensys saying the reason for lack UK modules is due to there not being a UK based manufacturer :?
                    Most of that sort of kit is way too expensive to produce anywhere other than China or similar. Also if no one has come forward to build UK modules then who made the units I bought from LA?

Keyvan

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                      Founder
                      • Jan 2004

keyvan

I think what he's saying is there's no distribution/retail partner that has been able to give them an order of a size significant enough to warrant a production run of UK specific modules. At least that's what I take out of it.

Thanks

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Wolfthing
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jun 2004

This is my take on it.

The chain of "supply" of all things electrical is Manufacturer > Distributer > Retailer.

The Manufacturer will have a minimum run to make it worth their while, and they won't manufacturer anything because typically they won't have the storage capacity for the end product - that's the job of the distributer.

Retailers can place orders with Distributors in quantities much less than those demanded by the Manufacturer.

In the case of Z-Wave, I don't think there is a nominated distributor in the UK. So retailers are having to approach the Manufacturer directly. So instead of buying a stock of 100 units, they're being asked to place orders in their thousands.

Which for retailers is quite alot of stuff to shift.

What the article on this site seems to indicate is that a distributor in the UK will appointed at the end of the year, which will then supply in more manageable batches to the UK retailers.

The reason we're able to buy the Z-Wave units in the US is that they have a distributor/retailer network. What I can't quite get my head round is that a distributor in the US has a warehouse full of UK units. Unless what we are seeing is remnants of a "first run" being sold in small quantities world wide...?

Comment

• b2
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Wolfthing
                          Despite never hearing of Automated Outlet before, I placed the order this morning for two Lamp modules and a Remote Control (is there a difference between a US remote and a UK remote?)

Okay, I'm ever so slightly suspicious of a company outside of the UK, selling UK modules - it's unheard of.
                          Well, i havent used them personally but many on the HomeSeer board recommend them, and martin is a regular poster (he knows what he is talking about!!). Also HomeSeer also sell the uk modules in their store at www.homeseer.com

Ben

Comment

• Wolfthing
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jun 2004

I fired off an e-mail to Homeseer to see if this was true and Karen replied with: -

"We don't have them listed because the manufacturer does not have them in stock. You can try letsautomate.com. If they do not have them now, they will have them as soon as possible.
                            Best regards,
                            Karen "

Comment

• Wolfthing
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2004

No sooner did I post a reply to the "Homeseer" stock claim, than the first part of my Z-Wave order land on my desk from Martin @ Automated Outlet in the US.

My fears - ordering UK equipment from the US - were cleared when I read the box and checked the Lamp Unit, "ZDP210, Radio Frequency Controller, 300W, 230AC. Plug-In Lamp Module(UK)" - Superb

The remote is a little "thicker" than I would have liked, but feels quite robust without being heavy.

No doubt I'll be trying it out tonight and writing a comprehensive review which I'm hoping the AutomatedHome chaps will publish (maybe a bit much to squeeze into this forum).

All in all this is the best Monday I've had in a long time...

Comment

Working...
                              X