• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: What no Z-Wave?

WolfThing - be delighted to publish your Z-Wave review. Please email me plain text and jpgs.

Thanks

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Wolfthing
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2004

This is very nearly the end of our Z-Wave saga, a review complete with a few photos, is on it's way.

In the meantime I found this top little link for the "International" Z-Wave kit.

http://www.act-solutions.com/pdfs/HomePro/Inst/

It contains PDF's for all the manuals for the Z-Wave modules.

In a nutshell, the Z-Wave kit is everything I expected and more. It gets top marks for setup, and it gets very high marks (not top because I had to look up how to Dim on the web!) for operability.

The best fun in the world is switching the "garden" off from my living room, just as the missus is half way through cleaning out the rabbit hutch at the bottom of the garden!

Comment

• Wolfthing
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2004

Can we have a Z-Wave forum yet? Or have I, one-man-Z-Wave-crusade-man, got to drum up some more Z-Wave interest?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

Sure, I'll add it this afternoon and move the Z-Wave threads into it.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

OK, here you go. Welcome to the Z-Wave forum

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Wolfthing
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jun 2004

Cool, cheers. :P

It echos a bit in here, I'll have to continue my UK Z-Wave crusade!

Comment

• daz
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jul 2004

Hello Mr Wolf,

Maybe I'll have to get some of these then. :wink:
                Cheers,
                Darren

Comment

• keyvan
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Jan 2004

I was also going to suggest a Zwave forum, but then again there seems to be a lot of demand and little supply
                  I can hardly say that my meagre installation - 2 lamp modules, 1 remote, 1 USB controller - qualifies as a proper install.
                  For one thing, it's hard to get a good idea of range and how well the module acting as repeater concept works in the field. But like others, I like what I have got - but I need more :x
                  Would love get my hands on some wall and ceiling fitted switches and start testing/using the scene features.
                  Wolfthing: did your imported zwave items cost more (landed) than the prices currently displayed at LA?
                  Thanks
                  Keyvan

Comment

• Wolfthing
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jun 2004

A couple of responses for you:-

i) Your "meagre" install is larger than mine! When the order completes I too will have two lamp modules and a remote, but no USB interface! So less of the meagre please...!

ii) On the subject of range. I live in a four bedroom semi-detached house, the Z-Wave Lamp module is in a wooden outdoor workshop, controlling garden lights. I've tried the remote from quite literally everywhere in the house and it works - best of all - because the Lamp Module "acknowledges" the signal you can read off the display on the remote whether the On/Off was successful or not - unlike X10.

As I've only got the one module, I can't test the repeater feature, but as the signal covers the whole house from the single module, I'm not sure how I'd test it - when it arrives - I'll have a play and post an update (I've got a 100ft extension real...!).

I don't think the repeater feature is as intelligent as the Zen-Sys demo seems to suggest, as I can't see how the modules would know if the module in question is in range or not. In reality, I see the modules blindly repeating all valid Z-Wave transmissions they receive. So in theory the more Z-Wave you've got, the better it will work. I reckon it re-transmits everything it receives on 868.42Mhz (UK Z-Wave frequency) without doing anything as clever as a identifying what the signal is, where it's going to, was it successful and so on.

iii) As for wall/ceiling fitted switches. There are wall mounted Z-Wave dimmer switches, and these obviously control your lights. They also act as transceivers and can repeat your Z-Wave round the house. X10 do a "rose module" for fitting under the lighting rose in the ceiling but there isn't anything like that for Z-Wave. With the direct replacement wall switch I can't see a need for the ceiling variety module. If anything it fixes a problem with the Rose setup because the Rose module will only work when "switched on" at the wall. Z-Wave address this by replacing the wall switch.

iv) The likes of Homeseer can work with both X10 and ZWave, simultaneously.

v) I've played with the Scene facilities last night, and it works well and is really simple to set up.

vi) I found the prices about the same. I've ordered two lamp modules and a remote and they've charged my credit card £75.10. Which is pretty close to the $135 for the original order. So cost wise, I can't see a lot in it. If anything the units from the Automated Outlet in the States might work out cheaper.

In the wise words of U2 - I hope you find what you're looking for...

(I have )

Comment

• keyvan
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jan 2004

Thanks for the feedback.
                      I agree with all you say and I believe in the future of zwave and given the choice I would use it instead of X10 anyday.
                      Just want more modules and hopefully better looking switches.
                      Do you know if the lamp module can be used to dim low voltage lamps without a coil transformer?
                      I have also tested the USB interface with HomeSeer and it works very well indeed. That is the module for which range is critical, but I don't see that as a problem. I am using Homeseer with MainLobby 2way plugin to control the lamp modules and view their status on my touch screens around the house and it is V COOL even if I do say so myself.
                      If you'r interested, LA have 5 usb modules left in stock at £52. Just do a search for zwave and they will show up.

Regards

Keyvan

Comment

• Wolfthing
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jun 2004

i don't think the lamp modules work with any form of step down transformer.

I'm in the process (this weekend) of laying a concrete mold based cobblestone path - incorporating some LED deck lights - as they are the 12v low voltage variety the only option I have of adding them to my Z-Wave setup is using an Appliance module to switch them on and off with no dimming options (Automated Outlet - watch out! Another order coming your way...).

Comment

• Anonymous
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2000

Hi all,

Has anyone seen Z-Wave modules with Swedish (German) plugs on it ?

Thanks in advance !

Comment

• Wolfthing
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jun 2004

If you look through the PDF's at ACT:-

You can find a variety of "International" Z-Wave modules made with the HomePro branding. So far, HomePro are the only units I've found.

Here's a quick translation for the part codes/PDF's :-

ZDP = Plug-In Lamp Module
                            ZDW = Wall Mounted Dimmer
                            ZRP = Plug-In Appliance Module
                            ZRW = Wall Mounted Switch
                            ZTH = Remote Control
                            ZTW = Wall Mounted Transmitter

The numbers afterwards are "roughly" as follows :-

1xx = 120VAC
                            2xx = 230VAC/10A

Comment

• Trident
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jul 2004

Thanks for the link !

I am a starter att Home automation and was going to spend some money on X10-devices. Now I am not so sure, maybe I should go with Z-Wave instead.

There doesnt seems to be that many Z-Wave modules around though, and I have not found any Linux-based software for the USB-controller (yet).

What do you think about the future for Z-Wave? It seems better (2-way comms for instance) but when will we see more devices ??

Regards,
                              Trident

Comment

• Wolfthing
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Jun 2004

I've spoken with a couple of people who are "full on" X10 people and asked them what they thought of it. They said it was good but sometimes it doesn't work - a result of X10's lack of acknowledgment on commands. One of the chaps suggested I look up Z-Wave, and glad I did.

The only thing that lets it down is the supply.

The range of modules is less than X10, but they've covered a majority of the home automation functionality with what they've released.

There was a response from Zen-Sys (http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...1445--0-0.html) which seem to indicate that there were no manufacturers lined up to supply the UK market.

From what I've seen it looks more and more like Zen-Sys have developed the design, technology and the chips - but done very little to promote the technology - head-to-head - with Z-Wave's obvious rival, X10. Which is a pity, because as the product goes it beats X10, hands down.

As my Home Automation requirements have started small (I wanted to remotely control my garden lights) I've got hold of some Z-Wave stuff, as I source and find stock, I'll be buying that too.

The demand exists, it's just a case of convincing the manufacturers.

Maybe to help things along, somebody needs to develop a Z-Wave remote that can send and control X10 stuff too? Or an X10 transceiver that can transmit Z-Wave RF commands? Then that way, X10'ers can expand their current setup with Z-Wave modules - see the advantage and ditch their old X10 kit.

Now I've got my garden lights under control, I can now see places all over the house where I want to put Z-Wave modules!

I would recommend you stick with Z-Wave, get your order in somewhere. Before you place your order, check stock availability.

I'm in the process of writing a review that includes an X10 - Z-Wave comparison which I'm hoping to have finished soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X