Thread: vaillant GB 242 EH

Automated Home Lurker

Default vaillant GB 242 EH

hi folks, just a quick question (i know its an old boiler), my boiler has been serviced and working fine until i removed some radiators to have some plastering done, because of a leaky rad valve the system drained down (no big deal so i thought) so i switched off the heating at the boiler and 'assumed' it would still give me hot tap water...it doesnt, when i put on the hot tap the boiler makes all the right noises but doesnt ignite ?..is this simply because there is no 'system' pressure...?, or do i have another issue ?.
    any help/advice would be gratefully received

....don

Default Re: vaillant GB 242 EH

if you have no pressure it won't work,

if you have pressure and it still won't work, there's a auto air release valve on top of the pump you will have to make sure it's open,

to get at it you'll have to take the front panel off.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam
    if you have no pressure it won't work,

if you have pressure and it still won't work, there's a auto air release valve on top of the pump you will have to make sure it's open,

to get at it you'll have to take the front panel off.
    well, ive re-fitted my radiators and started to re-fill the system, almost instantly water poured out of the auto air release valve, i figured this must be a huge airlock and have gone round all 10 radiators starting downstairs and got huge amounts of air out as expected, i now appear to be getting wter out of every radiator, i went back to the auto air release valve (on top of the boiler, at the back right hand side), opened it and air came out, i then left it loose as per instructions but STILL the boiler doesnt light ...as mentioned before, the thing was working perfectly before i took the radiators off and drained the system. So im still baffled

you've filled the system to around 1.5 bar?

pilot light lit?

set to heating and hot water?

pump running?

no heating or hot water

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam
    you've filled the system to around 1.5 bar?

pilot light lit?

set to heating and hot water?

pump running?

no heating or hot water
    filled to 1.5 bar, no pilot light...'electronic', controls all set.

the problem was indeed an airlock in the pump, i switched the gas off to the appliance and ran the pump for 20 mins on its own and it obviously 'purged' the air out because i then switched it off, re-connected the gas supply and hey presto...she fired up ...what a relief, i didnt want any nasty expenses just before santa comes...thanks for your help sunbeam...