• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dreadzone
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2006

X10 COMPATABILITY QUESTION

Hi,

I would like to know if a wireless alarm system with the ability to control X10 devices (such as Visonic's Powermax +) purchased in the United States, will control my X10 devices bought in the UK. :idea:

I do know that the operating frequency between the various PIR's operates at 315Mhz for a US purchased alarm system,and 433 or 868Mhz for a UK purchased alarm system made by the same manufacturer. 8O

But what i am getting at here is that i will pay twice the price if i buy in the UK,as opposed to purchasing my alarm system in the US. :wink:

I can obtain X10 compatible devices from the US too,but that would mean purchasing a whole load of transformers to alter the voltage,and this would be too expensive. :evil:

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated
  • Jimll
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2006

Re: X10 COMPATIBILITY QUESTION

I am afraid that US wireless and powerline modules are not compatible with the UK ones.
    Jim
    James Clabon

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Re: X10 COMPATABILITY QUESTION

How much have you been quoted for a Visonic in the Uk.
      The Powermax Max Plus is usually on a frequency of 868MHz it is possible to also get the Plus as a 433MHz system, but this is usually a special order item.
      The Powermax needs an XM10 X10 interface to be able to give X10 commands. As long as the visonic sensors are on the same frequency then it should work. You can't use X10 sensors directly with the Powermax Plus.
      I would be careful of importing equipment from the States. You may be liable for import duty and VAT. So what looked cheap is now no longer the case. Also if the system has a fault, not that likely, you would have to send it back to the States. Also you will need to buy a seperate power supply for the panel. As the one supplied from the States will be for 110v.
      The only other thing I can think of is that technically 315Mhz is not a legal frequency in the UK for non-licenced use. Even though many people do use US RF devices in europe.
      Found this while googling on legal European frequencies
      "In 1951 the NATO nations decided to reserve 225-400 MHz for military use, and move air-ground-air comms to this band from the 100-150 MHz area." - DSI2 The lower end has been lost to DAB, and from 380 upwards is earmarked for Land Mobile such as TETRA. Used by the Red Arrows, Falcons, Sharks etc for airshows.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Dreadzone
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2006

In the UK i can get the following:

1 x Starter Kit (Incl 1 of each: Panel, K9 PIR, Door/Window Contact & Key
        Fob) £194

1 x MCT303 Impact/Shock Sensor (and contact) £43

1 x Door/Window Contact £29

1 x Key Fob £18

4 x K9 PIR £148

1 x BR3 PIR Bracket £5

1 x X10 Controller £29

4 x X10 Appliance Modules £70

4 x X10 Lamp Modules £70

1 x Software Kit £29

1 x MCS710 £80

1 x Delivery £15

Total £730

If you can pay via PayPal then we can reduce this by a further 5% (on
        product excluding delivery) to £694.25 (Inclusive)

Comment

• Dreadzone
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2006

I would like to add that i can get this for half the price in the US (minus the X10 products) so even with VAT @17.5 and Duty at 4.1 (for portable electronics) it will still be a lot cheaper.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

What is the cost of the shipping from the US.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Dreadzone
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Nov 2006

retailer says it will cost $100 which still makes it cheaper.

Also regarding the 315 Mhz frequency,since it is only a low power device i cant see it bringing planes down from the sky!!

The only downside for me is that i will not be able to control my X10 installation from it.

Now,if anybody wants to offer me a decent price for a UK bought system then i would gladly consider it...especially since i will get a UK warranty.

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

IF you use an XM10 X10 interface and connect it to the alarm panel this should work. The Visonic Powermax can only send X10 commands via the X10 interface.
                And setting up the X10 part of the panel is much easier with the software. Actually all of the alarm panel is easier.
                When installing the system remember that the install manual is not the best in the business, and quite often requires a few re-reads.
                Good luck and let us know how you got on.
                Which US supplier are you going for. As I know Smarthome do their own rebranded version of the Powermax Plus I think its called the Surelink.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Dreadzone
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2006

toscal,

there are two suppliers in the US that will ship internationally:

both offer similar prices.

I have asked the question to Visonic regarding the X10 compatibility,even with a suitable x10 interface,such as XM10,i still have my doubts as to whether they will communicate together

Comment

• Dreadzone
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2006

By the way, the Powermax GSM module is 'TRIBAND'

So if anybody wanted to add this useful feature to their system,but was put off by the £200+ price tag in the UK...then visit the above stores and get it for half the price :wink:

Comment

Working...
                    X