• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dealgan
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2006

Newbie .. some questions to steer me right

Hi folks,
    Just joined after spending a few days reading a lot of the good threads on here, hoping to find an answer.

I've been using a simple x10 setup for my outdoor lighting, and am about to expland it a bit further to do some interior lighting & dimming also.

I *think* I understand it, but I'd like advice / suggestions from you knowledgable people

I currently have a number of MS13 motion sensors all controlling one light circuit through the TM13 transceiver, with the light circuit on an AW10 appliance switch. Worked perfectly until the TM13 packed up a few weeks back

My project is as follows (bear with me, its quite long-winded !)

Currently, master bed has a strange switching setup.
    There is master bed, a wlk-in-wardrobe and an ensuite.
    Inside the bedroom door is a 2-gang wall switch. One controls the ceiling lights, the other controls the wardrobe lights.
    Beside the bed is another 2-gang switch. One is 2-way for teh ceiling lights (with teh switch at the door) the other is on/off for 2 x 5A outlets at the bedsides.
    The ensuite is simply on/off via a pull-cord switch on the ceiling.

My thinking is as follows:

1. Dimmer on ceiling lights, (have LD11 & easy access to attic space) controlled by momentary switches at door & bedside.

2. 5A outlets controlled at door & at bedside ? Stuck here ?

4. Wardrobe lights controlled (on/off) by motion sensor in wardrobe, but probably add either wired/rf switch inside wardrobe to control/override it ?

5. Ensuite - use another LD11 dimmer, and change the pull-switch to a momentary type.

I'm stuck on Item 2 - How can I control the 5A outlets ? Currently the live is fed down inside the wall to the on/off switch beside the bed & then from the switch to the 2 5A sockets. I can access this live feed in the attic to put a module in line, but how can I control this from the switchee ?
    Do I need to use an AD10 & 2 momentary switches ?

Also, whats the best way to achive the wardrobe switching by MS and override switch ? I'd still like to be able to force the light off remotely, whether it was brought on by switch or my motion sensor.

Apologies in advance if the question is silly. I probably can't see the wood for the trees.

Cheers.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Newbie .. some questions to steer me right

5A outlets controlled at door & at bedside
    This can be done quite easily.
    You can use an appliance module for the actual sockets. Any appliance module will do.
    Then at the switches the easiest is to use a TMA4 Micromodule this transmits up to four sequential X-10 powerline carrier ON/OFF addresses. So have one by the door and one by the bed. Also as it only transmits On and Off you can use normal switches if you prefer. It will also work with momentary switches.
    You can also do a similar thing for the lighting and use a TMD4 micro module . This is similar to the TMA4 but will transmit dim and bright commands as well. This module needs momentary switches.
    The micro modules are designed to fit behind the european wall switch or socket so should fit behind a UK on as well.
    I think your other ideas should work quite well. But instead of a motion sensor for the wardrobe light why not use an appliance module and a switch similar to those used for switching on the interior light in a car, as long as it is rated for 230V.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dealgan
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2006

Re: Newbie .. some questions to steer me right

Originally posted by toscal
      5A outlets controlled at door & at bedside
      This can be done quite easily.
      Glad to hear it
      You can use an appliance module for the actual sockets. Any appliance module will do.
      Then at the switches the easiest is to use a TMA4 Micromodule
      I've seen those micromodules but they seemed to be quite a bit more expensive, so I was staying away from them for that reason.

But instead of a motion sensor for the wardrobe light why not use an appliance module and a switch similar to those used for switching on the interior light in a car, as long as it is rated for 230V.
      Good idea, and I had considered that, but the door doesn't always get closed, so I need to cover that as well.

Thanks for the pointers though.. Good to know I'm on the right track.. sort of

Comment

Working...
      X