• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitetraveller
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2006

Absolute beginner! Please be gentle!

Dear All,
    We would like to be able to phone the house when out to get the heating on; how can we achieve this?
    I understand this is quite a sweeping process, but when I look at all the marvellous websites about, they all appear to assume some level of competence in HA, and I have none!! I am sure the answers are out there somewhere, its just that I don't know what questions to ask ~ hence this plea for advice/guidance/assistance in finding out what I need to do to achieve this.

As an aside, since looking into HA, we are now wanting to wire the house for sky/dvd/video/music distribution, and I have (I think) a basic understanding of how to achieve that.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers/help etc.
    Kind regards
    Andy
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Absolute beginner! Please be gentle!

For signal distribution have a look at www.abitana.com
    They do a structured wiring system which can distribute TV, Audio, Video, HD Video and networking.
    For the telephone control you might want to look at getting a basic alarm panel such as the Visonic Powermax plus with an XM10 interface, and an X10 appliance module connected to your heating system, but this depends on your heating system. You can phone in enter a pin number then a code for the module to switch it on or off. You can also add a GSM module so you could text your house with the module code instead.
    Another panel is the SC9000 this also has the X10 interface built in. And then all you need is an X10 appliance module. And you can telephone the house and switch on the module.

The Visonic panel is about 130 pounds
    The Sc9000 is about 80 pounds
    X10ME is about 33 pounds
    X10 appliance module is about 30 to 35 pounds depending on type
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jle
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2006

Is it possible to have an even simpler system? I am a beginner as well and just want to turn my electric underfloor heating on and off remotely. There is no land phone line just mobile phone reception. I also don't want to spend very much

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Re: Absolute beginner! Please be gentle!

Any thing that requires a mobile phone link can get expensive. There are simple GSM systems but they start at about 250 pounds then you need an appliance module or similar. Some also provide relay outputs.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X