• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dealgan
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2006

Voice control & speech ?

I;ve been reading up a bit on speech controls, which seeme like a nice feature to add to a simple home automation system.

However, I'm a bit lost on the practicalities of it all.

Assuming I need a microphone is each room I want to be able to voice control from. How can I have 5 or 6 mic's connected to the controlling pc ?

Also, for the voice responses, do I need to wire speakers form the controlling pc to each room ?

Or, is there an easy ( and cheap ) way to have the response only come into the speaker in the same room as the command came from ?
    - In my mind, this would mean say 6 separately connected microphones, with the pc & softwar eknowing from which room the voice came.

i.e. If I'm in the kitchen, and I say "Turn on back light", I don't want the response "back light on" to be heard in every room, as that would be a nuissance.

Mabye I'm away off track .. please advise !
  • Jimll
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2006

Re: Voice control & speech ?

I use software called HomeSeer. Using this it is possible to have multiple mics connected to one PC you can just wire them into the same mic jack.
    It is also possible to have a Mic attached to each computer in your home to control Homeseer. It is possible to have the voice announcement played at any location you desire or any PC connected to your network. It is a complicated setup and background noise and reliability is a issue but can be achieved.

I use VR a bit in my home I use a modem that is connected to the HomeSeer PC that is also connected to the phones in my home. I can pic up any phone in my house and issue commands to turn on lights heating or play particular artist/music also control volume and speakers etc etc. It is a simple setup and I find it more reliable than mics because the phones pic up less back round noise and you are able with cordless phones to walk to a quiet location.

Having said all that I mostly use touch screens around my home to control stuff it is only when I can't be bothered to get up and go to a screen to turn the heating on that I use VR.
    James Clabon

Comment

Working...
    X