• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dealgan
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2006

RF receivers/transceivers ?

I'm undecided which to buy.

I either need 2 off TM13U-AH plugin transceivers, or one of the W800 receivers and a CM11 (?) module.

My old TM13 has packed up after about 4 or 5 years service. It was only controlling one code from 3/4 outdoor motion sensors. However, the range wasn't great and I had to position one of the sensors closer to the house than I would have liked. (further in the driveway, rather than at the gate pillars).

I had thought of buying 2 off TM13U-AH units, and putting one at each end of the house to cover both indoor remote/sensor use and the outdoor sensors. - There is a danger that both TM13's might pickup some signals, so would that cause a problem ?

I'm tempted by the W800, but the price is putting me off.

Would one W800, located in my attic space (or possibly with an outdoor antenna) do a good job ? Can I put 2 antennae on it .. one indoor in the attic to cover the house interior and one outdoor one as well ?

My whole house is around 2800 sq ft, with the distance to the gates being around 100 ft or so.

I would envisage using a dedicated PC at some point in the future to do some scheduling & other nice stuff, and can put one in place now if necessary.

Alternatively, is there an easy way to improve the range of a tm13u-ah by adding a more suitable antenna ?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
    Declan
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: RF receivers/transceivers ?

The TM13 has anti collision technology suposedly built in.
    The W800 needs to be connected to a computer.
    Other options:
    Is to go for one of the new IR7243 IR/RF transceivers. This can control X10 either by RF or IR. But make sure its a new one as the old ones are IR only.
    check it out here http://www.letsautomate.com/10863.cfm? or here
    http://www.intellihome.be/english/productview.asp?id=29 .
    Or you could get an X10 security console The old SC8000 is still available, for about 60 pounds. Centrally located this might just cover the whole house. The new SC9000 costs about 80 pounds.
    Another option is to use a SR9231 Smart RF Repeater. The good thing about this, is that Up to four repeaters can be used within range of each other allowing RF coverage of larger homes and buildings. Each repeater is set to a different code so they won't repeat each other. Costs about 50 pounds from Laser
    Lastly there is the V572AE which will need an XM10 interface which puts the price at about 100 pounds see here http://www.intellihome.be/english/pr...iew.asp?id=330

I think I covered everything.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• b_weijenberg
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2006

For use with a HA system the RFXCOM receiver and transmitter is also an option.

The RFXCOM USB X10 receiver has a great receiving range and is extendable with an optional second receiver for other protocols like US X10, Visonic and other protocols in the near future. See also http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ticle&sid=1747
      and http://www.xplmonkey.com/rf.html

The RFXCOM receiver has 48 bits receiving capabilities and can therefore receive Digimax thermostat signals and the RFXPower signals for electrical power measurement (soon available) see http://www.rfxcom.com/RFXPower.pdf

The RFXCOM RF transmitter can be used to send X10 commands but the CM11 is preferable. The RFXCOM RF transmitter is the perfect choice to send KlikOn-KlikOff(or compatibles), Ikea-Koppla and Harrison electrical curtain commands.

Comment

• dealgan
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2006

OK, Good info. Thanks.
        I've had a look at the various options, and am still undecided !

What is the RF range like of the IR7243 ? Is it similar to a TM13 ?
        If I have one of these in "all-housecode" mode, what housecode will the buttons operate on ?
        I like the idea of having switches in handy locations, and if I can combine this with the RF receiver, then so much the better.

Also, while reading about the W800 device, I see it needs a pc with 2 serial ports. I assume I can use a single serial port for the W800 and a USB version of a CM11 or similar ?

Is there any free software to simply transmit the x10 codes from the W800 out through the CM11 onto the mains ? I'm thinking of a temporary solution to get the RF onto the mains until I decide what software I want to use for automation.

Thanks.

Declan

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I think its about the same range.
          Normally for the TM13 I think its House code P if its in receive all mode. Can't quite remember though. The IRRF unit doesn't need to be set as it recieves all RF commands. The code wheel is for IR and for control from the unit.
          Try Google for free X10 software.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• b_weijenberg
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Sep 2006

Dealgan,

The RFXCOM USB X10 receiver has a greater receiving range and a receiving mode that is fully compatible with the W800. No need for USB convertors, configure the RFXCOM receiver as a W800 in your software and it will operate.

For what reason would you prefer the RS232 W800 above the USB RFXCOM?

Bert

Comment

• dealgan
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by b_weijenberg
              For what reason would you prefer the RS232 W800 above the USB RFXCOM?
              Hi Bert,
              No particular reason, as I have no experience of the W800 versus the RFXCOM unit.

I was nearly tempted by an RFXCOM device, but I ended up ordering a W800 and a CM11 unit last night, simply because they were both similar prices and I got free shipping on the W800 unit from intellihome. I do have serial ports available, so the connectivity is not really an issue.

My next search is for suitable PC & software. I'm putting together a dedicated PC, and can use either a celeron 700 (Coppermine) or a P3 866MHz, both would have pretty low ram, probably only 128MB (or possibly 256MB, if this other dimm module is working).
              I have genuine versions of Windows 98, Windows ME, or XP Home, but I also have an interest in linux, so might go with a debian box and some suitable linux HA, mabye misterhouse ?

Any suggestions on this front regarding which proc I should use , and any recommendations of linux software, or should I post this as a new topic ?

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

I used to use Homeseer 1.7 on a dedicated mini-itx 1.2GHz machine, with 512Mb Ram. This worked very well. The PC also acted as my media server for my Showcenter. Coped very well running both. I have no experience with Homeseer 2.0, but they do a free trial of the software so you could always give it a go. I now use a Homevision controller, as I needed a none PC solution for my set up. It does virtually all the same things as Homeseer but without the need to have a PC on 24/7.
                Have you had a look at Ubuntu for a linux package. Its easy to install. Just download, burn to CD, insert CD into PC, press install and away you go. They even do a live DVD version, which I tried on my main PC, just booted from CD and everything worked, no need to mess about with trying to get network cards to work properly. I think its great. Wireless network cards though tend to be a bit more problematic for it.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dealgan
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2006

Funilly, ubuntu is the first one I tried on the old celeron machine.
                  It did autodetect everything.

As I type, I have the p3 box beside me churning through a debian install.

It did not find my wireless card, but I stuck in an intel Pro/100 card as a temporary measure to get the debian install finished, and I have downloaded a module for the wireless card which should sort that bit out.

Now I can't wait to get this W800 by dhl.. Probably won;t be here until Monday though

Comment

• dealgan
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Nov 2006

Update.

I tried debian, but gave up trying to get my soundcards working

I installed fedora core 6, and it found them both OK.
                    I now have misterhouse running with my CM11, seems to work well, if I can figure out how to set it up properly.

My W800 doesnt work I thought it was the config on my linux box, but I tried in another windows box with the rf32.exe from wgldesign's website and it cant find it.

I was very careful about the power supply polarity, but its just not responding Will be interesting to see what support is like from intellihome .. I haven't had to return anything before.

Cheers.
                    Declan

Comment

• b_weijenberg
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Sep 2006

Declan,

Probably too late for you but the RFXCOM 433.92MHz X10 receiver has been extended with the receiving possibilities for Oregon Scientific sensors with no extra cost.
                      So this receiver is now able to receive X10 lighting, X10 security, Digimax, RFXSensor, RFXPower and now the Oregon Scientific weather sensors all in 1 receiver.
                      The USB module can have 2 receivers inserted and a second receiver can be for example a Visonic or a 310MHz X10 receiver.

Bert

Comment

• dealgan
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Nov 2006

I must admit I am impressed with the wgldesigns speed of reply.

I copied them with an email about what I had tried to get the W800 to work, and I got a reply within 30 minutes !

I explained further how I tested it, and now have an offer of replacement direct from the manufacturer. I am impressed.

I have asked intellihome for credit first, so we'll see how it goes.

What is the advantage of the RFX unit over the W800 ?
                        I know its a USB device instead of serial.

How does the range compare ? W800 versus RFXCOM unit ?

Thanks,
                        Declan

Comment

• b_weijenberg
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Sep 2006

Hi Declan,

Here is a comparison table for both receivers:

_________________________RFXCOM___________________ __W800
                          Interface________________USB______________________ __RS232
                          Receivers per interface__2__________________________1
                          Needs external power_____No_________________________Yes
                          Interface speed__________4800 or 38400baud__________4800 baud
                          X10 security_____________Yes (32 or 41 bits)________Yes (32 bits)
                          X10 lighting_____________Yes________________________Ye s
                          Digimax__________________Yes______________________ __Partial (32 bits /no parity/no setpoint)
                          RFXSensor________________Yes______________________ __Yes
                          RFXPower_________________Yes______________________ __Partial (only 16 bits counter value/no parity/no mode setting)
                          RFXWater_________________Yes______________________ __Partial (only 16 bits counter value/no parity/no mode setting)
                          RFXGas___________________Yes______________________ __Partial (only 16 bits counter value/no parity/no mode setting)
                          KlikOn-KlikOff/Nexa______Yes________________________No
                          Ikea-Koppla______________Yes________________________Yes
                          Oregon Scientific
                          weather sensors__________Yes________________________No
                          Visonic CodeSecure_______Yes________________________No
                          Visonic PowerCode________Yes________________________No
                          Collision avoidance
                          with transmitter_________Yes________________________No
                          Receiver schematics
                          in standard document_____Yes________________________No
                          Receiver sensitivity_____-106dBm (superheterodyne)__?

Some comments from other users:
                          This forum discusses the WGL Designs W800 RF Receiver and Jonathan Ort's W800 3rd party plug-in for HomeSeer.

Discussions related to the AutomationCraft RF Processor 3rd party plug-in.

Bert

Comment

• malarcy
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Apr 2006

Old thread but I thought I would contribute.

I have had both - the w800 is good, the rfxcom is great - same unit can receive uk and us based x10 rf and x10 secure signals - makes motion sensors at 8 dollars an attractive device.

I have excellent support from rfxcom, in the time I have been using it they have added digimax thermostat support, rfx temp sensors and now the oregon scientific stuff.

Honest opiniopn as a user w800 have a good product that they appear to have finished developing, rfxcom have a really good product that they continue to develop with an enthusiasm - and they like the HA market.

No affiliation to either company, just a user of both

The w800 is sitting in a box now.

Malarcy

Comment

Working...
                            X