• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azaniah
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2006

Couple of network questions:

I have a few general questions..

1. In Katmans famous picture of wiring a patch panel for voice in this thread (2nd photo)

Can you achieve that using solid UTP wires? (Which I have a fair amount left of) or should I really use stranded - If stranded where can I get a small length? Is it simply buying a patch lead and striping out the wires?

2. Can anyone recommend a good punchdown tool that gives you the choice of punch & cut or just punch. (Most of the ones I can find seem to only cut).

3. Mixing and matching "brands" when it comes to patch panels, outlet modules and cable doesn't make a difference does it? ( I assume it a brand meets the cat5e standard it ok). In other words any cheap patch from e-bay will suffice.

Thanks Steve
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Couple of network questions:

Originally posted by Azaniah
    I have a few general questions..

1. In Katmans famous picture of wiring a patch panel for voice in this thread (2nd photo)

Can you achieve that using solid UTP wires? (Which I have a fair amount left of) or should I really use stranded - If stranded where can I get a small length? Is it simply buying a patch lead and striping out the wires?
    Hi Steve,

That was done with solid core cable, just offcuts from the cables we were terminating.

You shouldnt use stranded in a punchdown as it doesnt make a reliable connection. Punchdown works by the prongs biting into the solid conductor and forming a cold weld with the insulation forming a gas tight seal to prevent oxidisation of the connection.

If you use a stranded cable instead of biting into the conductor, the strands deform inside the insulation and only make contact where they touch. It works but isnt as reliable as the proper conductors.

2. Can anyone recommend a good punchdown tool that gives you the choice of punch & cut or just punch. (Most of the ones I can find seem to only cut).
    I have always used KRONE tools and they come with a clip on a bit of string that fits above the punch head to prevent it operating far enough to cut the wire.

I have also seen other that have a large turnable button in the handle that also locks the cutter.

Even a genuine KRONE tool should only be about 15-20 pounds and it will last a lifetime. I have NEVER worn one out but have had a few "borrowed" or lost them.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Azaniah
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2006

Can Krone tools be used for 110 IDC as well?

Some places seem to suggest you can, some suggest you musn't ever... so again a bit of confusion there...

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Azaniah
        Can Krone tools be used for 110 IDC as well?

Some places seem to suggest you can, some suggest you musn't ever... so again a bit of confusion there...
        You should use the correct punchdown tool for the connectors you are using. Whilst you may be able to terminate using a different tool you may also either not punch down correctly or damage the actual terminal both of which can give rise to problems now or in the future.

All the panels I have used are Krone compatable as that is the tool that I have.
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
        X