• Show
Clear All
  • andrew_
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2006

Motorised Curtains - please advise

Hi,

I have been looking for a way to move some curtains
    I have came accross Silent Gliss -- it looked promissing because thier name seems to be common on the net -- but the quote from one of their distributors for their basic motorized curtains was over the top!

I need to "motorize" curtains for two windows - each one has a rail of about two yards long. One of the windows is simply one way movement (right to left) -- the other one needs to have curtains on both sides of the window.

My budget is about £100 (or £150 max) per window.

Can any one recommend an alternative supplier or "a way" to get these curtains moving?

Thanks,

Andrew

P.S. I do not need any electronics to go with the curtains - just the motor itself and the rails --- I plan on using Idratek system to control them.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Motorised Curtains - please advise

Have you had a look at the add a motor system.
    Have a look here curtain control
    The basic one costs about 80 pounds
    Have a look here for the Add a motor website
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Andrew

Have you sent a message to Idratek support? I have asked numerous questions to one of their guys, Karam, and usually get avery quick and detailed answer. I really can't recommend the Idratek system highly enough. It is a good basic design at a reasonable price point. But what makes it a brilliant system is the support from the Idratek team.

If you do get a response please post here because I am thinking of a similar solution as a future project.

Paul

Comment

• andrew_
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2006

Re: Motorised Curtains - resolution

Hello,

After a lot of research - please see the links:

Buy curtain poles now with up to 70% off and free UK mainland delivery. Delivered Next Day.

Browse our range of curtain tracks from leading brands such a Silent Gliss, Rolls, Renaissance, Swish & Integra. Corded curtain tracks & uncorded rails.

I have found an interesting solution
        use service parts from G-Rail system 6300
        R-Rail is made by Dutch company :

(6302 and 6200 system seem to differ only in the size of the motor)

Their products are on the comparable pricing level as the SilentGliss products, however after discussions with one of their distributors - I found out it is possible to buy just the rail and the motor -- WITHOUT the power supply (which also contians control logic). The motor is in fact a service part.

This way the complete cost for window 3 yards long came to approx. 150GBP
        so it is at the top of my budget -- but by the looks of it -- it is indeed a good quality system that should last.
        And the savings are huge.
        Because I was able to use Idratek's system co control it - I have both the timer, infrared remote, dark/ligh condition and sofisticated presence detection at the incremental costs (of Idratek system) of only 20GBP (!)

The standalone system for the G-Rail system (or for that matter Silent Gliss) with only basic automation, was offered to me by their "less creative" in the range north of 350GBP

So I feel good that I have top of the line system and saved 50%

Hope it helps Paul.

Andrew

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Andrew,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I also believe you have been in touch with Idratek ;o) I have bookmarked a few of the links for future reference.

Have far are you in to automating your home? Do you have a blog or website on what you are doing? How much Idratek kit are you using?

My Idratek system is a bench setup at the moment but it will be installed around the house as I think it is a great system. Just got to convince the wife that riping up floorboards is worthwhile ;o)

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Andrew,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I also believe you have been in touch with Idratek ;o) I have bookmarked a few of the links for future reference.

Have far are you in to automating your home? Do you have a blog or website on what you are doing? How much Idratek kit are you using?

My Idratek system is a bench setup at the moment but it will be installed around the house as I think it is a great system. Just got to convince the wife that riping up floorboards is worthwhile ;o)

Comment

• Paul_B
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2006

Andrew,

Comment

• Paul_B
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2006

Andrew,

Comment

• andrew_
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2006

Paul,

No, unfortunately I can hardly find time to reply here, forget bloging

8O

But I did have a chance to play some more with this curtains - they are quite easy to set up and control -- and their documentation is straight forward
                  ..... maybe they are just a bit too noisy (but than I guess I am comparing them to hand operated ones)

As far as the system -- well I want to go all the way --- from the curtains to TIVO :lol:

So far I have got alarm system, lights, heating, roof windows, front door camera and now curtains set up -- basically all on Idratek hardware
                  I plan to add full HVAC control, telephone, skype and internet integration and that TIVO-like media server

I had a chance to prewire everything -- after talking to Idratek people I just decided to run everywhere alongside the electric mains the CAT5 cable (basically a full loop around every room)
                  and I think it was a good decision, ethernet cable is so cheap that it did not increase the costs by much --- but saved me a lot of regrets --- just like with the curtain now
                  (originally I had no plans for them)

I am quite happy with the performance of system -- and I became a strong believer that comprehensive, universal system is the only right way to do you home automation

One really starts appreciating what an integrated system can do - by experiencing it
                  it is really difficult to point to just one thing - more like s hundred of nice small things, but after the initial installation and learning curve life just became ...... more comfortable

You just learn not to worry about turning off lights, or keeping your heating bill low, or forgeting to set your alarm
                  I don't know if you've had this feeling that you have to constantly take care of your house (because if don't tend to it bad things just happen) --- well now I've got the feeling that the house takes care of me

So my advice is - bite the bullet and do all the wiring in one go
                  than start even with a small system - for instance just lights and alarm, than add heating, etc. etc. -- it is just sooo easy to add new modules along the way

.... and my wife also did not like the wiring part and was complaing about the cost, but guess what -- now she is the one bragging that she's made the right choice, increased the value of the property, etc.
                  Women - you just have to love them!

good luck,
                  Andrew

p.s. pay a lot of attention to location of PIR sensors in your installation (whether they are in their multi-function panels or stand alone ones) initially I relied on the advice of a guy who spent his life installing alarm systems --- and in the end this was the only part of the system that I had make modifications to.
                  Basically in Idratek system PIR sensors are not about detecting intruders, but following the routine movements of household members.

Comment

Working...
                  X