Thread: worcester 240 combi rsf

Automated Home Lurker

Default worcester 240 combi rsf

11 year old 240 combi. boiler starts up during the night when programme timer is off. regularly serviced. manufacturer was no help at all. no romm thermostsat or frost stat fitted. boiler is in airing cupboard.

Default Re: worcester 240 combi rsf

does the heating get warm or does it shut itself down before it gets chance to?

the next time it does it just see if you can hear the pump running,

if the pump doesn't run then it could be the flow switch sticking,

otherwise i may be tempted to look at the timer

Automated Home Lurker

Yes, heating gets warm and pump runs but not for as long as normal.

My immediate thought was timer but engineer that does service recons it is not the timer as the "timer on" light does not come on.

Engineer suggested that there could be a fault on main board but he was not certain of that. Worcester help line had no suggestions at all.

it could be the board but it's an expensive guess,

i think worcesters call out charge is around £240 but they will repair it for that parts and all,

i suppose you could find where the clock connects to the board and disconnect it at night that way you could ellimanate the clock.

Automated Home Lurker

I'll have a go at disconnecting the clock and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Automated Home Lurker

At your suggestion I disconnected programme timer completely from main board by unplugging it. Immediate result was no water heating and no central heating. Left it unplugged to see what would happen and after about 2 hours the heating fired up for no obvious reason. Boiler ran for about 15 minutes and then cut off. Did the same again after another hour or so. Seems to suggest that problem is not timer so looked more closely at the main board. There is a set of contacts in the middle of the board encased in a clear plastic cover. There is evidence of burning on the inside of this cover. Looks like contact points are arching and occasionally I could see this when switching on/off. If this is the cause of the problem it looks like I will have to replace main board unless contacts are a replaceable item but I do not think so.

Automated Home Lurker

At your suggestion I disconnected programme timer completely from main board by unplugging it. Immediate result was no water heating and no central heating. Left it unplugged to see what would happen and after about 2 hours the heating fired up for no obvious reason. Boiler ran for about 15 minutes and then cut off. Did the same again after another hour or so. Seems to suggest that problem is not timer so looked more closely at the main board. There is a set of contacts in the middle of the board encased in a clear plastic cover. There is evidence of burning on the inside of this cover. Looks like contact points are arching and occasionally I could see this when switching on/off. If this is the cause of the problem it looks like I will have to replace main board unless contacts are a replaceable item but I do not think so.

Automated Home Lurker

Have now replaced the main driver board but the problem persists. Called the engineer out again and he was completely baffled. He replaced the central heating thermistor but still no better. Only board left is the sequencer board but that seems to be another guess. HELP!!