• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CWatters
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2006

X10 or wireless alarm

Newbie here...

I need to buy an alarm system and was looking at the Visionic Powermax wireless system as it has X10 capability (even if you can't use X10 sensors directly)... but then I started to look at what was available on X10 and I see you can get x10 PIR sensors and other alarm like devices.

I was drawn to the Visionic because it has:

*Wireless PIR sensors (but no dual mode wireless sensor?)
    *Remote viewing of cameras (via a Powerlink box but only available in the USA?).
    *GSM dialer
    *Reasonable small key fobs

Q1) Would it be possible to build a similar system using totally X10 based products?

Q2) If I went with the Visionic system what frequency (433 or 868Mhz) should I choose to minimise compatibility problems with X10? I think x10 cameras use 2.4ghz but what about most other x10 devices? 433mhz?

Q3) Are there any dual mode X10 Pir sensors.

Q4) Is there an alarm system that's better integrated with x10?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: X10 or wireless alarm

I will try and answer most of your question.
    Q1) Would it be possible to build a similar system using totally X10 based products?
    A) Yes but then if there is a power outage your alarm is rendered useless. It is possible to get an alarms that use X10 RF security sensors, the consoles have a built in X10 interface and also a normal X10 RF transceiver, so no need to buy an XM10 like you have to for the powermax or TM13. One of the other consoles we install is an X10 based security system. So if you want more info on this I let me know.

Q2) If I went with the Visionic system what frequency (433 or 868Mhz) should I choose to minimise compatibility problems with X10? I think x10 cameras use 2.4ghz but what about most other x10 devices? 433mhz?
    A) If you go for 868MHz then you avoide any possible interference with other systems. Many devices use 433, from gate openers, car key fobs, wireless IR extenders.

Q3) Are there any dual mode X10 Pir sensors.
    A) If you mean are there any with PIR and Microwave X10 then no. Visonic do do quad detectors which have dual PIR sensor mounted at special angles to minimize false alarms. Their pet friendly detectors are excellent, and work very well. The X10 RF Security PIR do have a switch to set the trigger threshold from 1 count to 2 counts. So this helps minimize false alarms.

Q4) Is there an alarm system that's better integrated with x10?
    A) Some people like the comfort system but this can be expensive.

Hope I've answered all your questions for you. And good luck.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CWatters
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2006

Re: X10 or wireless alarm

Thanks Toscal, I'll do some more research.

Comment

Working...
      X