Thread: Megaflow + heating: both ALWAYS on when ON hot water ONLY

Automated Home Lurker

Default Megaflow + heating: both ALWAYS on when ON hot water ONLY

HELP!!! my :evil: plumber tells me I need to have my whole flat re-piped after they got me a Megaflow connected to the boiler.. they got rid of my cold water tank and put in 2 zone valves (heating, hot water) with thermostat + electric programmer. BUT, now everytime I switch on the hot water, there seems to be a bypass that lets the hot water from the boiler into the radiators as well... The plumber tried reconnecting pipes with no luck.. I think they've connected the system to the existing pipework wrongly. I have 2 returns from 2 different radiators connected at 2 different points along the Megaflow return.. I feel that this is causing the bypass and that the 2 returns need to be made into 1 and connected behind the connection to the megaflow return. Is this correct? Does this make any difference? or am I just talking gibberish. I've got a picture that could explain whats going on under my floor board if what i wrote doesnt make any sense... Can I email anyone this picture to get some help????????
    HELP!>!??!?!!?!

Default Re: Megaflow + heating: both ALWAYS on when ON hot water ONL

shouldn't really matter where the heating returns are connected in as long as the hot water return is the last tee in before the boiler.

Automated Home Lurker

Thank you for your reply! Sunbeam! So, am I correct in saying that from the hot water return, it should NOT have (two) radiator returns connected to that return pipe on the way to the boiler? (which is how it is now.. and that that will cause a bypass to occur causing the radiators to heat up when hot water is turned ON and heating turned OFF?)

To correct this, if 1 radiator return pipe only is connected before the hot water return back to the boiler, my radiators wont heat up as they are doing now?

You're gonna make my day if this is true! and I can tell my plumber to sort my damn problem out and stop saying that my pipes all need redoing... :P

yes ,

what i would do is,

use the hot water return, as the heating return,

cut the hot water return before the 2 rad returns tee in and re-run it, and

tee it in just before the boiler. 8O

hope this makes sense pogo.

Automated Home Lurker

Thank you VERY much for the advise! AND the quick reply. Just spoke to my plumber and he tells me it needs to be run thru the living room (btw, my boiler is in the kitchen, past the living room; but my Megaflow tank/valves/circuit are in the hallway cupboard near the entrance) AFTER a radiator in the living room. He admitted that the hot water return needed to be the last connection before the boiler like you said. But he wants to run the pipe ALL the way past the radiator in the living room which is NOT valved and is just simply connected to the feed and return pipes running from the boiler. So, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, but) no matter where the hot water return pipe is connected before or after that last living room radiator, THAT radiator is going to be on when the hot water is on because it has no valve and is the first to be fed by the pipe coming from the boiler. (I think my dear plumber is trying to make excuses for his failure and fleece me of my hard earned cash by suggesting lifiting living room floorboards and running pipes thru :evil: ) So, why not just connect the hot water return in the hallway, to the return pipe just after the ammended rad return (as you said)... so I give up on the fact that the living room rad is going to be on (cuz the alternative is too much of a hassle with pipes connecting to too many places), but at least the hallway/bathroom/bedroom radiators will not turn on when the hot water is on.
    :?:
    Does it matter how much dead space I have between the radiator return and hot water return before it gets to the boiler? Do I REALLY need to run it all the way JUST BEFORE the boiler? (Sorry about the long message) ops:

doesn't matter how much dead space you have and i think even though the rad isn't valved it won't get warm

Automated Home Lurker

Default NEW REVELATION!!!!!

stupid plumber. wont admit that he's wrong! i actually lifted the floorboards in the living room.. and guess what! I've actually got a 2nd feed from the boiler.... runing along the main pipe. that feeds the living room boiler on the way to the hallway network of pipes. It actually feeds directly into the pipe connected to the return for the radiator in the bathroom. DOH! it was UNDER the plank of wood in the hallway NOT lifted by our fav plumber. :twisted:

:roll: SO, now i'm wondering, if this extra feed pipe is basically just joined onto the main feed pipe from the boiler, is that ok? will it cause a problem?

I'm convinced that the radiator in the living room is not going to be controlled by the thermostat or valve in the cupboard unless it gets a major pipework installed to the pipe coming off the radiator (heating ) controlling zone valve. Am I correct?

i'd say so pogo