Motion Sensor to dim up/down ceiling light...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrdogcat
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2006

Motion Sensor to dim up/down ceiling light...how?

Hi I'm pretty new to all this automation malarkie so forgive me if this it a stupid question.

I want to install a motion sensor on my landing that senses when someone walks up the stairs or out from one of the bedrooms and fades up the landing light. This is a normal ceiling light you would buy from John Lewis not a energy saving bulb.

The light can be turned on and off via two wall switches, one in the hall at the bottom of the stairs and one on the landing. Because the light could possibly be turned off by someone who then walks back down the stairs only to trigger the motion sensor again there might need to be some kind of time delay on the motion sensor for it to become active again after the light is manually switched off.

What equipment do I need to do this from scratch?

Thanks fr your help
  • Phill
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2004

Re: Motion Sensor to dim up/down ceiling light...how?

Hi.

I do a similar kind of thing as to what you are asking. I use Homeseer as the control software running on a PC. A motion sensor detects movement, homeseer controls the light via X10, homeseer, turns the light off again after 4 minutes of inactivity.

Comment

• Phill
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2004

Hi.

I do a similar kind of thing as to what you are asking. I use Homeseer as the control software running on a PC. A motion sensor detects movement, homeseer controls the light via X10, homeseer, turns the light off again after 4 minutes of inactivity.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

What you need is a TM13 X10 RF transceiver, an MS13 motion sensor. For the X10 module either a LD11 din rail or LW11 wall dimmer or an LWM1 micromodule or LW12 micromoduue. All of these modules have soft start, so will gradually turn off and on. The MS13 can be set so that it will switch off the light after 1min to 255 minutes. So I think that if you switched off the light by the switch then the motion sensor won´t trigger again until after the delay time is over.
        The other thing you wil need is 2 momentary switches, unles you go for the LW11 as this has a built in switch so you only need 1 momentary switch.
        The LW12 needs no neutral which may make it easier to wire up to the existing wiring.
        The micromodule will need to be programmed via the MS13. This is quite easy as there is a manual switch on the unit.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X