• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimD
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2004

Current sensing on X10^2 modules?

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me whether the new X10^2 appliance modules have problems with low power loads?

The original X-10 modules allowed some current to "leak" even when turned off to allow for the local control feature. Unforunately this means that my low power LED Christmas lights still glow (at a reduced brightness) when the appliance module they are connected to is off.

I'm hoping that as the new modules have local switches, they have no need to sense current, and really are off when they should be!

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Tim
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Current sensing on X10^2 modules?

Have you tried contacting Kevin Lo at www.automation-at-home.com . He might be able to help you.
    The newer standard X10 appliance modules don't have the current. Also if you feel brave and know what you are doing you can turn off the auto sense feature. You can do this by loosening pin 7 of the IC. Attention: this will forfeit your guarantee. Module with a production code higher than 04Dxx don't have Auto-sense. The label will mention "Low energy lamp compatible" . This is taken from the Marmitek website FAQ for the AM12.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimD
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the reply toscal. That's interesting information about the newer standard X10 modules, I didn't know they'd changed the design. Unfortunately all my appliance modules are quite old.

I did try the local control disabling mod (following these instructions), but while it stopped the local control working, it didn't stop the LEDs glowing so that's obviously not all there is to the current leakage problem.

I contacted Kevin, and he tells me that he has tested an X10^2 appliance module with a 5W fluorescent lamp and it works OK, so that's encouraging.

I've also discovered that Lets Automate sell these modules so I've ordered one to try (slightly more expensive, but faster shipping than from HK which is important as these are for Christmas lights). I'll report back when I get it.

Tim

Comment

• TimD
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2004

Just to confirm, the X10^2 module works fine with my low power (<5W) LED Christmas lights

Tim

Comment

• malarcy
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2006

Likewise - have 3 in use for christmas lights - all good.

Malarcy

Comment

• UKAutomation
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2006

Some of the standard X10 appliance modules also don't have current sensing - although it's hard to tell which ones.
            I'm not 100% sure why they put current sensing on the appliance modules as I wouldn't think that many appliances would pass the trickle current through them without either blocking it or causing appliance problems (like with LED lights).

It makes sense on lamp modules to an extent as the filament will pass the current without glowing...
            UK Automation - UK Home Automation suppliers
            Free delivery on orders over £200!

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by UKAutomation View Post
              I'm not 100% sure why they put current sensing on the appliance modules as I wouldn't think that many appliances would pass the trickle current through them without either blocking it or causing appliance problems (like with LED lights).

It makes sense on lamp modules to an extent as the filament will pass the current without glowing...
              Current sense is there to allow you to switch a module on without having to use a controller. If you turn a lamp or appliance such as a kettle ON/OFF/ON using the switch on the lamp/appliance the X10 module senses this and will switch ON.

Unfortunately it can be a nusance sometimes.

HTH

Keith
              KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
              http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
              X