• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEED
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2006

CENTRAL HEATING

hello, i am doing an engineering scheme at school and have been set a task, which involves - succesfully making a device that will automatically turn the central heating off when its detects that the house is empty. (in other words when someone leaves the house)

It must also then turn the heating on when it detects that someone enters the house.

Any help would be gratefull

-MEED-
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: CENTRAL HEATING

The problem with just using motion sensors is at bedtime or if you are watching the TV motion might not be detected, but the house is not empty.
    A way round this would be to use IButtons, these are small RFID type devices. They are normally used in conjunction with a touch reader. You just touch the reader with the IButton, or place the button on the reader and leave it there. The buttons come in a key fob format. So yu an attach one to your house keys, and when you leave the house you pick up your keys, the reader looses the signal from the button, and therefore the house is empty. Used in conjunction with a few motion sensors as back up. You could get a reliable indication of an empty house.
    Many alarm systems have this function. When you do a full arm the heating temp is set back.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MEED
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2006

thanks, thats a great idea with the key fobs. i will look into into more. if you have any more possibe solutions the post please

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Found the website that sells iButton stuff etc for you.
        RFID+ focus is on Products that enable the Login to specific End Equipment’s where Communication with the Control Electronics is via “1-Wire® Protocol". We supply RFID login solutions for EPOS and Driver ID.

Good luck with your project.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MEED
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2006

thanks very much, i have looked into the ibuttons but i am unsure what components i will need. please u could u specify what i will need.

in my project there are 2 people whao have keys (mum and dad) so i presume i need to sets of key fobs. would i also just need a controller?!?

thanks

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

IF you contact the guys on the website they will be able help you, with what you need.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X