Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network Hard drive

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by TimH
    There's a few, I thought the Buffalo Terrastation offered There's also the Netgear SC101 Storage Central Network Storage but this gets mixed reviews.
    Phew - long time no post - I'm amazed that I can remember how to.

With regards the sc101 - does anyone here have any experiance of it ?- because I was looking at that and was about to ask that question. As to performance - I'd only want it to server mp3 and video files to a single media centre xbox - so dont need much.

The problem with some linux distros I've tried - is that old mboards dont support newer big drives, and the stuff I have thats spare falls into that category. Also not being too linux savvy, I can easily run the install, but If I want to add another volume at a later date - have no idea what to do.

Any experiance of the netgear anyone?

Matthew
    Last edited by Otto-Mate; 9th January 2007 at 01:20 PM.

No experience with the Netgear, but here are some user opinions...

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews94458.html

Also couple of our articles on NAS's's's's

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article1759.html
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modul...howpage&pid=10

M.

Quote Originally Posted by mafiu View Post
    With regards the sc101 - does anyone here have any experiance of it ?- because I was looking at that and was about to ask that question. As to performance - I'd only want it to server mp3 and video files to a single media centre xbox
    The sc101 requires a client to be installed on each PC that accesses it, I don't think it will work with your XBOX.

Cheers

Ed.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    The sc101 requires a client to be installed on each PC that accesses it, I don't think it will work with your XBOX.

Cheers

Ed.
    So glad I posted this. Mapower nas here I come.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mafiu View Post
    The problem with some linux distros I've tried - is that old mboards dont support newer big drives, and the stuff I have thats spare falls into that category. Also not being too linux savvy, I can easily run the install, but If I want to add another volume at a later date - have no idea what to do.
    I think you can get around the mobo/hdd-size issue by using a linux-compatible controller card that'll slot into your PC and hang your drives off that. You'd need to check which ones are supported, but I would very carefully search for feedback on the Highpoint RocketRaid card. From what I recall it can be useful but is extremely "picky" about drivers etc.

NAS etc. has been discussed previously on the mailing list, try here for the archives: www.ukha-archive.com

HTH,

Tim.

A new Misco catalogue dropped through my door yesterday and I saw this unit in it.

D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay SATA Network Storage Enclosure, 142.99 ex VAT
    (168.01 inc VAT)

Features:
    * SATA Drive Support
    * Internet Access via FTP
    * UPnP AV for Storing and Streaming Media Files
    * 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port
    * USB Print Server Port
    * Built-In Fan Included

"The availability of four different hard drive modes (Standard, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID1) allows you to choose the configuration best suited to your needs."

There's more details on the Misco site:
    www.misco.co.uk & p/n Q98149
    or
    http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...59638&catcode=

HTH,

Tim.