Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Hard drive

Default Network Hard drive

I have some large external hard drives in USB caddies. I would like to instead have these acessible to all PCs on my LAN via the ADSL router.

Anyone know if you can get simialr caddies (just the caddy) with an ethernet port on them ?

Thnx
    n.

Default Re: Network Hard drive

There's a few, I thought the Buffalo Terrastation offered a "no-disk" option but can't seem to find it now.

Synology do a few different units and these seem to get good feedback.

There's also the Netgear SC101 Storage Central Network Storage but this gets mixed reviews.

I'm sure there are others too.

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

if you have several which you want to use, then why not grab a rubbishy old pc, shove them in and stick on a nice small linux distro..there are plenty which will do this for you.

The Linksys NSLU2 supports external USB devices, http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

You can also use an Openversion of the firmware that has seen a lot of improvements / extensions.

If you have a lot of data then you may want to consider more fault-tolerant solutions badged as NAS. Current players are QNAP (TS-201 & TS-401T), Synology, Iomega, Buffalo.

You can also go down the PC route but in my experience they will use a lot of power and need patching if you are running Windows.

I have a hybrid solution. I use a QNAP TS-101 for Network storage and a Mini-ITX based server running Windows 2003 (MIni-ITX from VIA draw less than 30W)

I built my own NAS using an old PC with a 450MHz AMD processor, 64Mb RAM, and a floppy drive. It boots from the floppy, but it can also boot from a USB stick if your motherboard supports USB. The software is from a company called Server Elements. The software is called Nas-Lite. Took about an hour to build the machine and most of that was searching for a floppy disc. See www.serverelements.com for more details. Using an old PC means you can have upto 4 drives in the machine.
    There are also enclosures available here www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=796 Just insert drive. It also acts as a wireless access point.
    or there is this one www.qtds.com/products.asp?recnumber=954

cheers for all the ideas and info guys. To be honest I want a simple small solution in a box, no extra s/w, no PC, no configuration stuff etc. but thanks foryour ideas.

I did find something on www.scan.co.uk which may do the trick but it seems to get mixed reviews, but then everything does these days :-)

n.

N,

Make a list of your requirements and then compare that to what each device can do. For me I just want network storage. If I want to run a web server, audio streamer, print server, etc Then I will put this on my server. But eac person has different wants and needs

Automated Home Lurker

http://www.freenas.org/

Free, small and lite with loads of modules including software raid.

A friend of mine has one with 4 x 300gb USB2 external disks, and 4 500gb disks internally. 3.2TB of network storage.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Synology do a few different units and these seem to get good feedback.
    Bad form replying to my own post I know, but I've just found the link to the Synology stuff:
    http://www.synology.com/enu/products/index.php

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,

We have just got in a new thermaltake external Network housing and putting it under test at the moment.
    So far it appears any drive up to 400gig works in them and we are now running data speed tests on it.

Here is a link to the devices we are testing:
    http://www.thermaltake.com/product/S...e_LANRAID.html
    Regards,

Da\/e.
    webshopwww.medwaycomputers.co.uk
    PCbuild shopwww.instantpc.co.uk
    Our new Forum:www.hardwareit.co.uk
    One Stop PC-I.T Shop