• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danward79
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2004

Visionic / BT VP1000 PIR Problem

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I have recently purchased a VP1000 PIR to try with my RFXCOM Antenna for occupancy detection.

I am having a problem, because the PIR seems to be locking it's self out...

What I mean is that. If I enter a room, it operates a few times which activates my lights. But after a few minutes of being in the room it seems to stop detecting (Red LED does not flash) and sending signals. Then obviously the lights go out as the system think no one is in the room.

I am wondering if anyone who uses these sensors could tell me the behaviour they see from theres and if what I am seeing is normal.

Many Thanks

Dan
    Cheers

Dan
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Visionic / BT VP1000 PIR Problem

PIRs for bugular alarms are different to those used for occupancy detection.

An Alarm PIR will not trip on the first detection of movement (unless specifically set to single pulse). Default is normally 2 pulses before a signal is output but can usually also be set to 3 to avoid false alarms.

The PIR may also adjust itself to filter out ambient noise eg miniscule movements that you make whilst sitting so as not to false trigger.

If you get up and walk across the room does it then trigger OK ?

If you are using this purely for occupancy detection try setting it to single pulse if possible.

Failing that, have a warning bleep that sounds 10 seconds before the lights go out so that you can wave your arms about wildly to retrigger the timer
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• danward79
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jul 2004

Hi Keith,

I was wondering about the filtering of "Ambient Noise" myself.

If I get up and walk it only works when it is not locked out. Otherwise yes it works ok.

Do you have the BT system? BT have removed the dip switches from the visonics sensor to allow pulse setting. I might try bridging it anyway!...
      Cheers

Dan

Comment

• b_weijenberg
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2006

Re: Visionic / BT VP1000 PIR Problem

Dan,

The PIR only transmits the detected movement once. See also the RFXCOM document chapter 9.

9. Sensor behavior.
        9.1. Motion sensor.
        Report restore is always OFF (bit 7).
        At the detection of a movement the sensor transmits the alert status. If there is no movement detected during 3 minutes then the sensor goes to the normal status but doesn’t transmit this status. The sensor transmits every 15 minutes an alive packet with the current status.

9.2. Door sensor.
        SW3 defines Report Restore and is default ON (bit 7).
        The door sensor transmits an alert status when the reed contact (only if SW1=ON) or the external contact is opened. When the contact is closed the sensor transmits the close status but only if SW3=ON. An alive packet is transmitted every 15 minutes with the current status of the primary contact. There is no alive packet transmitted for the secondary contact!

9.3. Smoke detector.
        SW2 defines Report Restore and is default ON (bit 7).
        The smoke detector transmits an alert status when smoke is detected. When there is no smoke detected the sensor transmits the close status but only if SW2=ON. An alive packet is transmitted every 15 minutes with the current status.

9.4. Glass break sensor.
        Report restore is always OFF (bit 7).
        At the detection of a glass break the sensor transmits the alert status. After this the sensor goes back to the normal status but doesn’t transmit this status. The sensor transmits every 15 minutes an alive packet with the current status.

Bert

Comment

• danward79
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jul 2004

Ah, so if it see's movement continuously the 3 minutes does not time out. Hence my perceived problem.

I have not got round to reading the RFXCOM visonics manual fully yet.

Thanks for the info
          Cheers

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X