• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osprey
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2005

Phone line connections at Patch panel

I have wired out house to T586B, and just about finished all the faceplates.
    After advice here picked up a good deal on some 24 way 19" patch panels from eBAY. (Cat5e mint condition for £3.5 each)

The room outlets will go to one patch panel (misc), and the other (audio)will be wired so that 12 ways are parallel for home line and the other 12 for business line ... as per Keith’s picture on

Interested in knowing the neat way to bring in the phone lines .. They currently terminate of course at BT master sockets ..( 2 separate sockets)

I have a cat 5e cable also run to the rear of these sockets to Node zero

Should I simply punch down cat5 at BT master socket this cable would then terminate on one of the misc patch panel ways … then plug ADSL filter into patch panel front socket (crimp on RJ45 plug instead of BT431) then take phone line out of filter to input of one of the parallel sockets (voice patch panel) …
    Don't know how to put an image in line - so loaded it to : http://tinyurl.com/sr9zz

Or should I plug filter in at BT master socket and run a patch lead from filter to patch panel?

Just wondering what is neatest – obviously many out there who have done this.
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Phone line connections at Patch panel

As you have used 568B it makes it nice and easy.

Punchdown on the rear of the NTE5

BLUE/White 2
    WHITE/Blue 5
    ORANGE/White 3

Punch those same colours down on your commoned wiring at the patch panel.

If you dont already have a proper ADSL faceplate for the BTE5 you can get one at www.solwise.co.uk That will filter everyhing for you neatly.

Those faceplates also have a punchdown for the A & B of the ADSL connection so use the green pair of the CAT 5 for that and at your patch panel break just that pair out to a separate socket just for ADSL (or you could put it onto the green pairs of all the commoned sockets but not much point as your router will only ever be in one place.

For some reason I couldnt see an image on that link you gave

HTH

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• osprey
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2005

Strange about the image .. if I click on it I see it, can you try the direct link - rather than TINY url

I'll also try the img option.

or
      (alt+p)

Does that work ?

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

still no picture.

Is it set for public viewing or do you have to login somewhere first ?
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• osprey
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2005

Think I have sorted it - some of folders are not viewable to public - try this:

I have shown the set up I assume I could use for the incoming line that has BB on it, the other line is just an analougue phone line.

I only have 1 x CAT 5 cable to the location of the incoming phone lines, but I can easily run in a patch cord.

Unless I bring in both phone lines to Node zero over the one CAT5 cable - after all they all sahre the common 8 pair incoming cable ?

Comment

• osprey
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by katman
            still no picture.

Is it set for public viewing or do you have to login somewhere first ?
            Looking at the options then -

I could fit a 'lower half' filter to my NTE5 at BT incoming... and patch a CAT5 cable to back of this ... at the other end of the cable in Node zero connect this direct to patch panel.

see pic at :

Or I could simply extend from NTE5 (without filter) to Node zero, terminate at new NT5E with filer and then use a patch lead from this new socket to front of patch panel.

see pic at :

Interested in any views on either approach ... if I take the latter can you get NTE5 + filter in Secondary type ? ... the master will be at the original BT demarcation socket.

Comment

• mpkayeuk
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Sep 2005

I think when I did this (if I recall) I just used telephone cable punched into the NTE5 (other end with BT plug) and ran it over to the 12 port bus-wired 'telephony' patch panel. I then patched it in using a RJ45 -> BT droplink. Seems to work OK

Comment

Working...
              X