Thread: Worcester 240 leaking through overflow

Automated Home Lurker

Default Worcester 240 leaking through overflow

I got heating and H/W but there is a flow coming out of my overflow pipe, I had a similar problem about a year ago, when I had to change the pressure vessel.
    That time, the vessel was full of water, which you were able to notice by pressing the valve on the vessel. This time the vessel has a little water in but then it blows clear.
    Could this be the same fault, and if so what could be causing the vessel to leak, i replaced it with a brand new one last time.

Mostly, is there a way to stem the flow from my overflow ? example, could I put a pressure release valve on the overflow ??

if you have got water coming out of the pressure release then it must be getting re-filled,

check you're filling loop isn't on,

or is the boiler over pressurising when the central heating is on,

if so drain the boiler, get a foot pump, pump up the pressure vessel to 1.5 bar

re-fill and try again.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    if you have got water coming out of the pressure release then it must be getting re-filled,

check you're filling loop isn't on,

or is the boiler over pressurising when the central heating is on,

if so drain the boiler, get a foot pump, pump up the pressure vessel to 1.5 bar

re-fill and try again.

Hi m8, thanks for the reply, Yes m8 the pressure goes right up when c/h is on, so much so that there is a high pitched whine. Also, when c/h is on the water from overflow is warm.
    The loop is off ( unless valve is faulty, which I doubt ) I did try to re-pressurise the expansion tank, but did not seem to have any effect.

I am probably gonna buy new vessel again, as it solved it last time, but should I change pressure valve at same time ?

you might be aswell trying to pump the old one up first,

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    you might be aswell trying to pump the old one up first,
    System wont stop filling, pushing 4.5 Bar, inlet valve not holding, Water hammer banging like hell, I think shes breaking up Jim.

Giving up and getting new boiler meethinks, only the timing couldnt be worse

the system is filling through the heat exchanger,

there must be a hole in it, so the water from the hot water side is passing through to the heating side and filling it.

worcester 240's a pretty old boiler, is it worth repairing?