• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osprey
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2005

Any CT100 experts out there ??

After initial problems getting correct CT100 crimp tool - decided to make a start.
    I am slightly confused by the use of a 3 step coax stripper tool.
    I bought this, and the little beast creates a 4mm piece of exposed braid and an 8mm piece of dielectric and the exposed core conductor.

Now the next step is to fold back the braid over the sheath, and this leave an increased length of dielectric ... (now becomes 12mm).
    The Vitelec connectors require 5mm of dielectric and 7mm or core ... now 'tis easy enough to cut this dielectric back with a knife ... but doesn't this sort of negate the point of a fancy 3 step cutter - if in fact you still have to manually cut ? ... in fact the cut of the dielectric it makes is nut used at all ?

Maybe I should remove the rd blade and just have it cut sheath & braid ?

In case I am not very clear in describing this - please see ..

This word doc shows steps with pics & measurements.

Maybe it's normal to have to manually adjust - seems such a waste of 3 step tool.
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

I cut all my cables by hand, although I was using screw-on F plugs...
    Where I have used "automated" stripping tools (on other cable types) they have always prepared the sheath, braid & cores to the correct lengths for the intended plug/socket. However the stripping tool, cable and plug etc. were all from the same manufacturer so you would expect them to work together.

There's a certain logic in the initial cut as you need to fold enough of the braid back over the sheath. Can you adjust the length of each cut with the tool you have?

Even if you can't, the fact that it cuts the sheath and braid cleanly is good as that's the bit I find most difficult. Cutting the dielectric by hand is simple enough with a craft knife

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• osprey
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by TimH View Post
      I cut all my cables by hand, although I was using screw-
      Even if you can't, the fact that it cuts the sheath and braid cleanly is good as that's the bit I find most difficult. Cutting the dielectric by hand is simple enough with a craft knife

HTH,

Tim.

I agree on the cutting dielectric is easy enough ... just seems strange that it goes to the bother of cutting it to a set length that is no good for CT100 ??

Comment

• homedianet
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2005

Hi there - I use a Thomas & Betts snap and seal tool, it cuts and strips the cable ready for the F-type connector which is also fitted using the tool. You can then use F-type adapters to fit whatever connector you require, such as coax, BNC etc. Connectors are also waterproof.

Its very quick and easy a great tool
        Affordable quality solutions for multi-room audio/video,lighting control and home automation.
        New build, property renovations & Affordable Homes

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

If you want a hassle free cable connection, and no need to strip any thing. Then use planet waves cabling system. You just cut the cable to length, and twist the connectors on, tighten the fixing screw. And hey presto perfect cables. The cable is suitable for frequencies up to to 3Ghz. I've used it couple of times and its great. The cable is slightly thiner than most coax.
          web site is here http://www.planetwaves.com/products_cidetails.aspx
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• osprey
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            If you want a hassle free cable connection, and no need to strip any thing. Then use planet waves cabling system. You just cut the cable to length, and twist the connectors on, tighten the fixing screw. And hey presto perfect cables. The cable is suitable for frequencies up to to 3Ghz. I've used it couple of times and its great. The cable is slightly thiner than most coax.
            web site is here http://www.planetwaves.com/products_cidetails.aspx
            I have already bought the Vitellec crimp on CT100 connectors, and having also invested in crimp tool won't be changing the system.

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Personally the planetwaves system is majorly flawed as the screw down grip solution they use can destroy the shape and therefore performance of the dielectric. Also, being a US Cable, the cable will not be approved for Sky

I have used and still supply the T&B Snap and Seal system, but now recommend and supply the ICM System which offers Phono, F Type, BNC and TV Male and Female that all use the same prep and compression tool and fit straight onto CT100, RG59 and mini-coax.

Back to the Q in hand,

Osprey,

I would say that your prep tool is wrong for the connector you have. Usually a prep tool for TV type coax will leave about 5mm of centre core exposed and then another 5mm of outer braid. (based on our prep tools here)

Then fold the outer braid back to expose the dieletric. The cable is then prepped for the connector to be made off.

HTH Chris
              Last edited by vex; 5 January 2007, 09:58 AM.
              www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• SMCSI06
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2007

The cable stripper you need is:

RG6 Cable stripper

As mentioned above, the one you are using looks like a stripper for standard RF (back of tv) plugs.

The stripper I've provided a link for has adjustable blade heights and also does RG58,RG59,RG62,3C,4C, and 5C coaxial cables. And it's mighty cheap!!

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X