Thread: IR Control Of MUlti Source

Automated Home Lurker

Default IR Control Of MUlti Source

Hello,

Keith I was wondering if you could help with the following.

I’ll give you the scenario first and then tell you what I want to do.

I’ll have a main living area where the Sky Box, DVD etc will go. I then have five rooms, which I want to be able to select the AV equipment to watch remotely. This seems easy enough to do with the Mulitdrop KAT5 AV distribution Daisychained via a Patch Panel.

Question
    There will be one KAT5 transmitter at the AV source. Will this Transmitter be able to control via IR more than one AV source, Sky and DVD?

One of the remote rooms, the master bedroom will have an LCD flat screen. What I want in this room is surround sound. I would imagine that I need an AV receiver in this room to allow for this (or as I got from another discussion board is to have a dedicated DVD here). The problem that I have is I don’t (more she doesn’t) want any av receivers DVD’s etc showing in the bedroom and therefore these will need to be located in the walk in wardrobe area.

This then leads to the problem of getting the IR control of the AV receiver in the wardrobe and getting IR control of the AV source in the main living area.

Your comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

TOAB

Automated Home Lurker

Default More

I've been onto the sony website just to get typical connections for the back of a flat screen.

Connectors

4 Pin (Y/C) In
    S-Video

Digital Audio Output (optical)
    YES

MiniJack (Head/Earphone) (mm)

PCMCIA Card Slot
    YES

RCA Audio Out
    YES

RCA AV Input
    YES

RF In
    YES

Scart 1
    YES (RGB)

Scart 2
    YES (RGB, Smartlink)

Scart 3
    YES (RGB)

HDMI
    YES

Component
    YES

Component 2
    YES

PC Input (15pin D-Sub) + Audio In
    YES

In my last post I had mentioned that the flat screen in the master bedroom would have a dedicated DVD AV receiver in the wardrobe. I need to run the cables next week and was wondering what cables I need to be running and to where from the back of the flat screen. There are a lot of connections. Do I need to run cables for the whole lot.

Any input would be much appriciated.

Regards,

TOAB

Quote Originally Posted by titsonabull View Post
    Hello,

Keith I was wondering if you could help with the following.

Question
    There will be one KAT5 transmitter at the AV source. Will this Transmitter be able to control via IR more than one AV source, Sky and DVD?
    The supplied IR emitter is a single eye although many of the dual eye emitters work fine.

I have a passive splitter on one of my setups that is feeding 6 different IR emitters (some single, some single blink, and a dual emitter) and that works fine.

The KAT5 AVTX cant select source but can be fed from a SCART switcher but obviously all rooms would have to view whatever was selected.

One of the remote rooms, the master bedroom will have an LCD flat screen. What I want in this room is surround sound. I would imagine that I need an AV receiver in this room to allow for this (or as I got from another discussion board is to have a dedicated DVD here). The problem that I have is I don’t (more she doesn’t) want any av receivers DVD’s etc showing in the bedroom and therefore these will need to be located in the walk in wardrobe area.
    Standard KAT5 units carry S-Video + Stereo Analogue Audio. The Stereo audio will have prologic encoding if that is what is being broadcast but to get proper 5.1 surround sound you will need to send SPDIF digital audio.

This can be done by using Composite instead of S-Video and using the second video channel for SPDIF although that would result in a drop in picture quality.

From your other post where you list the inputs on your TV there is another option for the DVD. You could use a set of RGB Phono KAT5 units to carry Component + SPDIF for your LCD TV. This would give the highest quality video and audio and would also allow other rooms to still watch SKY.

This then leads to the problem of getting the IR control of the AV receiver in the wardrobe and getting IR control of the AV source in the main living area.
    The KAT5 receiver does not have any way of outputting the IR it receives but if you used a passive splitter at the transmitter you could take one of the outputs and feed it up a pair in a second CAT5 cable to drive an emitter for the closet amp.

The current Mk2 AVRX receivers cannot have IR control when used as intermediate receivers in a multidrop configuration but a Mk3 version will be available in a couple of weeks that will allow Multidrop IR control.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv