• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy from embsay
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2006

Telly, data and phone wiring for a newbie

About to start renovating and extending a detached bungalow, and am currently starting to think about wiring for TVs etc.

I want TV points in 2 reception rooms, the kitchen, study and 3 bedrooms. There'll be a Sky+ box in both the reception rooms. I want a networked computer in one reception and the study, and wifi elsewhere. I'd also like phones in 3 rooms.

Two questions: I've looked at Digital Plumbers, Abitana and Singlepoint - Digital Plumbers looks like about a grand for the hub and the cable, not sure about the others. So first question: is there a best system for functionality and value? And secondly - The cable looks pricy in all options - would it be cheaper just to put Cat5 and co-ax in? How much are these per metre(ish) and would this be cheaper?

Thanks
  • homedianet
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

Digital Plumbers use a coax and Cat5 solution it is called Hellerman Tyton, you can also easily add multi room audio and CCTV & IR passing (although with 2 Sky + boxes this would not be ideal as it is not routed, i.e. it would change the channel on 1 or both, better with 2 different makes a Sky plus box and a PVR or Media Center with 2 inputs)

have a look here http://www.homenetworksciences.com/h...T_Brochure.pdf

The Abitana cable is a bit pricy but has the advantage that 1 cable does TV, Data, Audio & telephone so you can easily change an outlet to suit your needs.

Lexcom is another option see http://www.squared.co.uk/SquareD/Eng...st%20guide.pdf

The CAT 5 & Coax solution works out better on price if you know exactly where you want the services, The others (abitana & Lexcom) although a little more expensive offer flexibility. Worth thinking abour wiring for some audio even if you just run the cables you can always connect later.

Hope that helps good luck
    Affordable quality solutions for multi-room audio/video,lighting control and home automation.
    New build, property renovations & Affordable Homes

Comment

• andy from embsay
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2006

Nice one - thanks. Good point re audio - I certainly want to be able to pipe audio from the main living room to the other one (they're next to each other and we're putting folding doors between so they can work as one space). One of the sky+ boxes will be an HD one - I think someone said the signal for the remote is different? I'm pretty sure that DP's solution only pipes one sky signal back out as they allow one 'main room' which is where you put the decoded signal back in - does the Abitana or Lexcom solution allow you to watch either remotely?

Comment

• homedianet
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2005

Abitana & Lexcom use an additional module to take AV sources (up to 4) and then modulate the source signal which is distributed around the home TV's need to be tuned into the additional Home Channels, this is RF distribution. You could also look at the AV module for Lexcom see

This offers higher quality and also switched IR so you can control identical devices without interference. As I understand ( I have not tested) the new Sky HD remote does not control the old Sky Plus, but the Sky plus remote does control the Sky HD.

With these projects it usually comes down to cost the Hellerman Tyton offers value for money and is designed specifiaclly for the home. The Lexcom & Abitana are also great systems although can be slightly more costly due to the cable cost however it does offer the home owner more flexibility. Both can incorporate Systemline modular ceiling speakers for multi room audio.

With IP TV and faster broadband it is definitely a good move to get this infrastructure in place.
        Affordable quality solutions for multi-room audio/video,lighting control and home automation.
        New build, property renovations & Affordable Homes

Comment

• andy from embsay
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2006

great - thanks. Been talking to someone today about the HT system - quick question - I'm going to have a sky+ box that'll feed the rest of the tellies with a satellite picture - so assume that box needs 2 coax cables to it to allow for the double tuners. Then will my HD box will also need another 2 coaxes directly into it as well?

Comment

• nickgale
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jun 2005

You are correct, you'll require 2 Coax for both Sat boxes making a total of 4, therefore the dish will require a quad LNB

HTH

Nick

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by andy from embsay View Post
              great - thanks. Been talking to someone today about the HT system - quick question - I'm going to have a sky+ box that'll feed the rest of the tellies with a satellite picture - so assume that box needs 2 coax cables to it to allow for the double tuners. Then will my HD box will also need another 2 coaxes directly into it as well?
              At the moment you will still have a problem if you are planning to share the HD box (in SD) and Sky + as we believe they operate on the same IR codes. My sky contact is going to do some tests over the next few weeks.

One other consideration is the new Delta8 system from Schenider (Square D) which passes telephone, tv and data all over the same cable at the same time. Then all you need to do is connect the required adaptor.

Personally though I would recommend HNS or CRIS Box home networking using Coax and CAT5e for the vast majority of systems.

Chris
              www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• andy from embsay
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2006

Not planning to share the HD box - it's really so the kids can watch sky+ in another room if they want to.

think HNS is the way to go - i think I'll get pretty much what I need with a bit of future-proofing for about £600.

Comment

• vex
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2005

CRIS Box from ACA-Apex would be a bit cheaper and IMHO nicer looking than the HNS, but at the end of the day it is you choice.
                  www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
                  NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

Working...
                  X