Thread: No water in pump

Automated Home Lurker

Unhappy No water in pump

Old pump screached and died - replaced with a new Grundfos - opened isolator valves - no water - not a drop !!

Checked header tank (in loft) - clean(ish) water present - float valve OK.

Prior to pump packing in, I noticed lots of air in radiators & had to bleed quite a lot. Clearly this is why the old pump packed in. Haven't tried the new pump yet - I daren't because lack of water will probably do that one in too.

There is a 3 way valve just above the pump, but surely if this was broken, it shouldn't prevent water getting to the pump should it??

Any help appreciated - can't get a plumber for over a week & we have a new born baby. We're in a bit of a panic.

Automated Home Jr Member

With the isolator valves open try sliding the little slidey thing on the side of the 3 way valve to the manually open position and back again a few times this may help, failing that u may have to try something a little more technical.
    I once had an air lock after swapping a radiator and had to run the boiler with the boiler stat removed so as to force any air up and out of the expansion pipe in the loft, called boiling the tats off it. It will make some awful noises but is a commonly used remedy just REMEMBER to replace the stat when finished.

Let us know how u get on...

Automated Home Lurker

Question will it damage the pump

Many thanks for your advice. Will running the pump with no water present do any damage to the pump?

Automated Home Jr Member

over a long period of time yes but it shouldnt just for this, what boiler do you have?

Automated Home Lurker

Not at home at the moment, but it's a Baxi - can't remember the model.

Really appreciate your help.

Steve

watch out not a plumber,

although stevie is right what he is saying i wouldn't try it, especially with a baby in the house,

Automated Home Jr Member

Yeah good point that especially in light of recent events in the news.

What I should have said is only try it if you feel confident, the kids are well out of the way and you have someone else in the loft to let you know when the air has vented out.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks everyone for all of your help. After "doing" the whole system, it turned out to be a blocked water feed pipe !!

Once again thanks for everything (and scaring me half to death - "get the kids out of the house" did make me a little nervous!!!)