Thread: Vaillant Turbomax VUW 242E not firing

Automated Home Lurker

Default Vaillant Turbomax VUW 242E not firing

I took a shower yesterday morning and the boiler fired up as usual. Later in the day I flicked the time clock to constant for central heating and it failed to ignite. It no longer worked for just hot water either.

The electronic ignition is working fine; the fan kicks in; the water pressure is where it should be; the problem is, there doesn't seem to be any gas reaching the boiler.

Any suggestions?

Nick

the first thing i would do is see if there's any gas getting through to the pilot.

Automated Home Lurker

I don't think there is a pilot: it's electronic ignition. No, there's no gas getting there, that's the problem. Whatever opens to allow gas to flow to the ignition isn't opening. What that is, though, I don't know!

the electronic ignition will light a pilot which will then bring on the main burner,

Automated Home Lurker

In that case, since the electronic ignition is working okay, I would say there is definitely no gas reaching the pilot. Is there an obvious cause for this?

if i was stood in front of the boiler the first thing i would do, is clean the pilot out.

Automated Home Lurker

I'll try that. Thanks.

Automated Home Jr Member

From the sounds of things it doesnt fire up for heating OR hot water now which makes it look like a problem in the startup sequance.
    If everything else is doing what it should then there's no gas there to ignite, likely causes;
    1. pcb isn't powering the solenoid to open the gas valve to allow gas to pass to ignite (least likely but possible, beware of anyone just wanting to put in a new board without following a fault flow diagnostic as they're v expensive and many people just blame the board when they aren't too sure only then to tell u it's also the "Xpart" is faulty)
    2. gas valve is faulty
    3. solenoid is faulty (most likely & cheapest of the 3)

There are solenoid testers available from trade centres such as Plumb Centre (Regin make 1) which aren't too expensive if you or someone you know are competant to use them