Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clipsal ulti light switches??

Basically, Yes if you want to control them individually.

But they only need simple contact closure (push to make) buttons and all the major manufacturers offer these in most of their ranges.

In one or two locations you could have Rako's 7 button controllers to be able to recall scenes for the whole house and trigger an all off.

This is basically what we are planning for the whole of our house.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Automated Home Lurker

ok vex, this sounds a bit more do-able could you explain if and how you have any multi lighting curcuits i.e living room or kitchen dinner how you will use the pills where you will place them?

of the 6 curcuits in my kitchen i could dim 3 and have the other 3 as on/off

dimmed would be ceiling gu10`s split into 2 switches
    over cupboard low voltage 1 switch

then the not dimmed would be breakfast/island pendants 1 switch
    under cupboard flurescents 1 switch
    one or two wall lights 1 switch

would i need to place the pills in single switch back box`s ? so that would mean 6 single back box`s that would look ugly.

then all of these could be mood switched with the rako thing you suggest.

am i getting the jist of this or am i wrong?

Automated Home Jr Member NWootton's Avatar

Vex

I'd be interested in this as well - I've looked at both the Rako and the ULTI range. I preferred the ULTI range because it was a straight replacement that used mains power, sticking batteries into a Rako wall switch seemed a little "retro".

Are you saying that I can use the PLL module in my existing back box and it provides the same functions as the UTLI switch?

Nix

Sorry Mikaj, completely missed your post.

I'll get back to you and nwootton later this evening.
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Quote Originally Posted by mikaj View Post
    ok vex, this sounds a bit more do-able could you explain if and how you have any multi lighting curcuits i.e living room or kitchen dinner how you will use the pills where you will place them?

of the 6 curcuits in my kitchen i could dim 3 and have the other 3 as on/off

then the not dimmed would be breakfast/island pendants 1 switch

would i need to place the pills in single switch back box`s ? so that would mean 6 single back box`s that would look ugly.

then all of these could be mood switched with the rako thing you suggest.

am i getting the jist of this or am i wrong?

Ok, you are getting there mikaj,

These would use two of Rakos, RDL's, designed to fit up through a GU10 hole and hide in the ceiling void, each controling a circuit.

If the Low Voltage transformer is designed to be dimmerble, is the transformer hidden above the cupboards and could you hide another RDL up there, before the transformer?

breakfast/island pendants 1 switch
    Dimmed, using a PILL hidden in a backbox

Switched (as I am guessing you can not dim these flurescents) using an RDS800 mounted up underneath the cupboards

A second PILL hidden in a back box.

Once these are all in and powered you can create relationships between one or two controllers (RCP07's) and all the dimmers / switches.

If you only have one RCP then when you come into the room you will have the option of 4 different scenes, an all off and the group dim up and down. Of you run two on different room codes then you could have 8 scenes all from the same mix of lights.

Cool hu, It does take some thinking about but once you see it it does become clearer.

Hope that all makes sense to you

Chris

NWooton,

The answer to your question is 'sort of!'

The PILL is a 250W (IIRC) dimmer designed to fit in the back of standard depth back boxes and provide dimming for a single circuit. These can be talked to by a Rako wireless controller or simply controlled by a contact closure switch on the faceplate covering the PILL dimmer and backbox.

This allows you to match the switch plate to the majority of manufacturers looks. Press the button once, the light comes on to the level you left it at last, press and hold it will dim up to max, press and hold again it will dim down to off. Press and release the circuit will turn off.

I am planning to re-do the whole house here in PILL's and a mix of contact closure buttons and full Rako wireless controllers in key areas like Kitchen/dinner, Lounge, Front Door, Master Bedroom and Landing.

HTH

Chris

Automated Home Lurker

thanks vex we are nearly there, good job weve not started plastering yet
    now, how cost? what would that little lot cost?

Are you sitting down.

For all those circuits and one controller you are looking at about 700 Retial inc VAT and Shipping! Add about another 100 if you want a second controller.

Still worthing in my book, but then I have seen the results.